Arabtec Holding PJSC
|Public Shareholding Company|
|Founder||Riad Burhan Kamal|
Shaikh Zayed Road Al Quoz St.04, Dubai.,
|Services||Residential Developments, Commercial developments, Hotels, Infrastructure, High Rise Development, Super High Rise Development On - and Offshore Oil and Gas and Industrial Projects|
|Revenue||5.66 billion AED (2012)|
|139.2 million AED (2012)|
|Total assets||6.487 billion AED (2012)|
Number of employees
|Website||www.arabtecholding.com Arabtec Holding|
Arabtec Holding PJSC, together with its subsidiaries, provides construction services for residential, commercial, oil and gas, infrastructure, power, facilities management, and property development sectors in the United Arab Emirates and internationally.It operates through Construction; Mechanical, Electrical and Plumbing; Oil & Gas, Infrastructure and Power; and Other segments.The company is involved in the construction of high-rise towers, buildings, and residential villas, as well as undertakes drainage, electrical, mechanical, plumbing, contracting and related, and civil and infrastructure construction works. It also engages in the real estate investment, development, leasing, and management activities; buys and sells real estate properties; and leases and manages third party properties. In addition, the company manufactures precast panels; and fabricates steel structures and profiles, as well as manufactures and transports ready mixed concrete
Arabtec has executed a number of high-profile construction projects, including the Burj Khalifa (the tallest building in the world), the fit out of Burj Al Arab (fourth tallest hotel in the world that was constructed by Al Habtoor Engineering Enterprises in partnership with Murray and Roberts ), Terminal 1 of Dubai International Airport and passenger terminal of Dubai World Central International Airport.
Arabtec Construction is a multinational construction company that is headquartered in Dubai, United Arab Emirates, where it is one of the leading companies in its sector. Arabtec Construction was established in Dubai in 1975 and has completed a number of projects in different construction sectors such as High Rise Developments, Hotels and Hotel Interiors, Office Blocks, Commercial Developments, Industrial Projects, Major Airport Developments, Stadiums, Infrastructure and Drainage works, Offshore Oil and Gas Installations and Residential Complexes.
Growth in Dubai was followed by geographical diversification and local and international expansion. Arabtec Construction has associated companies based in Abu Dhabi, Jordan, Pakistan, Qatar, Russia, Saudi Arabia and Syria. Arabtec Construction operates under Arabtec Holding PJSC. The group now consists of 13 subsidiaries, each one providing end-to-end contracting services across the construction value chain.
Arabtec Holding was the first privately held company as well as the first construction company to go public in the UAE. The company was listed on the Dubai Financial Market (DFM) in 2005 and since the IPO the stock has been one of the most traded in the region. In 2010 Dubai Financial Market awarded Arabtec Holding as the most traded stock from year 2000 to 2010.
Founded in 1975, Arabtec took advantage of the emerging markets in the UAE during the construction boom of the 1970s. Arabtec Construction started as a construction company specialized in high tech civil engineering and infrastructure works.
During the 1980s Arabtec began an involvement with the oil and gas sectors in Abu Dhabi. In 1995 Arabtec diversified into airport work which played a key role in the company’s expansion and its rise to become one of the top contractors in Dubai.[by whom?] In the 1990s Arabtec also expanded into the villa sector. The expansion into villas and housing led to the creation of a division called Arabtec Living, which marked a key milestone in the expansion and growth of the company. As early as in 1976 Arabtec made its first foray into high rise construction.
In 2011, Arabtec formed a joint-venture with Raheja Developers of India. Raheja Developers awarded construction contracts worth US$204 million to the JV. The company's first project is to construct a 56 storied, 196 meter high residential complex, known as Raheja Revanta, in Gurgaon.
In 2013, Arabtec formed a joint-venture with Samsung Engineering of South Korea. They will collaborate to undertake large-scale projects in oil & gas, power and infrastructure in the Middle East and North Africa. Arabtec-Samsung will bid for contracts that range from $3 billion to $10 billion in value.
In 2015, Arabtec posted a loss of $626 million.
In 2016, Arabtec was awarded a 5 star rating Taqdeer Award. The Taqdeer Award, launched by Shaikh Hamdan Bin Mohammad Bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Crown Prince of Dubai is the first of its kind in the world that seeks to recognise companies for their labour policies and efforts, so as to inspire them to further improve their labour practices. Arabtec was evaluated based on factors considered for the ratings, which include labour policies, facilities and infrastructure, health and safety, labour security, recruitment and wages, justice and transparency, labour relations and other indicators.Taqdeer Award
In a 2009 BBC Panorama program, Arabtec was exposed as treating their migrant workers inhumanely. The program showed how Arabtec failed to provide its workers with basic amenities to live with conditions deteriorating rapidly across the camp.
Armed with secret cameras, BBC reporters sneaked into the camp to be met with the smell of raw sewage. Sewage had leaked out all over the camp, and workers had to create a network of stepping stones to cross it and get back to their accommodation blocks.
Documents which had been obtained by the BBC clearly show that a month previous to the television crews' visit, the Dubai municipality described the sewage situation at the site as critical. Arabtec had also been fined 10,000 AED, which is approximately £2,000, for neglecting hygiene standards and allowing sewage to overflow into accommodation used by workers.
Arabtec said it did not accept that there were unsanitary conditions at any of its camps' toilets. It blamed the workers, saying, despite training, their "standards of cleanliness and hygiene are not up to your or our standards".
Joint ventures and subsidiaries
- Arabtec Holding PJSC, Dubai, UAE – Holding company – Management of subsidiaries
- Austrian Arabian Ready Mix, Dubai, UAE – Manufacture and transportation of ready mix concrete products
- House of Equipment Co. L.L.C, Dubai, UAE – Trading and leasing of construction equipment.
- Arabtec Construction Qatar L.L.C, Doha, Qatar – Civil construction and related works
- Arabtec Precast L.L.C, Dubai, UAE – Manufacture of precast panels
- Nasser Bin Khaled Factory Ready Mix Concrete Co. L.C.C, Doha, Qatar – Manufacture and transportation of ready mix concrete product.
- Emirates Falcon Electromechanical Co. (EFECO) L.L.C, Dubai, UAE – Electrical mechanical and plumbing contracts
- Arabtec Construction (India) Private Limited, Gurgaon, India - JV with Raheja Developers for residential complex construction works
- Arabtec Engineering Services L.L.C, Dubai, UAE – Infrastructure construction works
- Arabtec Construction Syria L.L.C, Syria – Civil construction and related works
- Arabtec Pakistan Limited, Pakistan – Civil construction and related works
- Target Engineering Construction Company, Abu Dhabi, UAE – Civil construction and related works
- Gulf Steel Industries FZC, Sharjah, UAE – Fabrication of steel structures and profiles.
- Arabtec Saudi Arabia L.L.C, Saudi Arabia – Civil Construction and related works
- Polypod Middle East L.L.C, Abu Dhabi, UAE – Manufacture of bathroom, kitchen and hot press pods
- Arabtec Egypt L.L.C, Cairo, Egypt - Egyptian construction and infrastructure markets with focus on residential, infrastructure and commercial projects.
- Arabtec-Samsung Engineering, Dubai, UAE – Energy and power-related projects in North Africa and the Middle East
- Arabtec Raheja, Delhi-NCR, India – Civil Construction and related works
Major services and projects of ARABTEC
Arabtec is one of the largest contractors for civil and infrastructure works, having executed several notable projects such as the Burj Khalifa, completed in January 2010 the tower is the tallest in the world standing 828 metres above ground.
Major projects executed or under progress —
- High Rise Developments e.g. Burj Khalifa, tallest structure in the world, Infinity Tower, Lakhta Center, Karachi Financial Towers, Ocean Heights, 21st Century Tower
- Hotels e.g. Emirates Palace Hotel, Aloft Hotel, Fairmont Hotel, The Address Downtown Dubai Hotel
- Hotel Interiors e.g. Burj Al Arab, Jumeirah Beach Hotel and Ritz Carlton
- Commercial e.g. Dubai Maritime City, Dubai International Financial Center Gate Village, Exhibition Centre for ADNEC
- Oil and Gas e.g. Mubarraz Island, Gas Processing Plant
- Major Airport Developments e.g. Dubai Airport and Dubai World Central International Airport
- Stadiums e.g. Ghantoot Grandstand and Dubai Sports City Stadiums
- Residential Complexes e.g. Emirates Hills, Arabian Ranches, Raheja Revanta (Gurgaon, India) and Jumeirah Beach Residences
- Mixed Use Developments e.g. Al Waab City
- Industrial and Marine Projects e.g. Abu Dhabi Ship Building Facility, Mubarraz Island oil processing plant
- Educational Developments e.g. Princess Nora bint Abdul Rahman University, Saudi Arabia
- Oil, Gas, and Power e.g. Middle East and North Africa; Joint venture with Samsung Engineering.
Arabtec Construction has announced plans to expand into the emerging markets of the Middle East and North Africa (MENA region). Plans are set to enter Algeria, Angola, Azerbaijan, Libya, and Turkmenistan.
Arabtec was in 2009 ranked as the 104th largest Global Contractor, based on the total firm contracting revenue, according to the Engineering News Record.
Company awards World Finance Company of the Decade 2000-2010, World Finance Magazine March–April 2011, (2011)
Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum (MRM) Business Award 2008, Construction Category, (2008)
Company of the Year, Arabian Business Awards, (2007)
The Address, Downtown Dubai - New Hotel 2008 at the World Hotel Award, (2008)
Infinity Towers - Six World Class Design Awards, Cayan Investment Development
Sanctuary Falls, 96 Villas - Best Golf Development, CNBC, Arabian Property Award, (2007)
Le Reve - Best Luxury Development in the world Gold Awards, Home Overseas Magazine Awards, UK, (2006)
Le Reve - Best Use of Technology, Home Overseas Magazine Awards, UK, (2006)
Emirates Hills - Gold Award, Home Overseas Magazine Awards, UK, (2005)
- "Arabtec Holding Co (ARTC:DFM)". businessweek.com. Archived from the original on 2013-06-28. Retrieved 2013-04-21.
- Completed projects Archived May 13, 2012, at the Wayback Machine
- Arabtec to hire thousands of new staff
- Arabtec Construction: About Us Archived April 26, 2009, at the Wayback Machine
- Menon, Praveen (2013-04-13). "Dubai developer Arabtec's shareholders approve capital raise". Reuters.com. Retrieved 2013-04-21.
- Arabtec Holding
- DFM Archived August 8, 2010, at the Wayback Machine
- DFM Archived March 8, 2012, at the Wayback Machine
- "Arabtec Holdings (ARTC.DU)" (PDF). taib.com. 2006-10-02. Retrieved 2013-04-21.
- Raheja forms JV with Dubai’s construction firm Arabtec
- Zainab Fattah (2013-04-17). "Arabtec and Samsung Engineering Form Joint Venture". Bloomberg.com. Retrieved 2013-04-21.
- "Arabtec and Samsung to make joint bid for giant projects". Arabnews.com. 2013-04-18. Retrieved 2013-04-21.
- "Dark side of the Dubai dream". BBC News. 2009-04-06.
- Arabtec Holding
- Austrian Arabian Ready Mix
- House of Equipment
- "Arabtec Construction - Qatar". arabianbusiness.com. Retrieved 2013-04-21.
- "Arabtec Precast (APL)". zawya.com. Retrieved 2013-04-21.
- "Company Overview of Nasser Bin Khaled Factory Ready Mix Concrete Co. LLC". businessweek.com. Retrieved 2013-04-21.
- "EFECO". Archived from the original on 2013-01-17. Retrieved 2010-07-13.
- "Arabtec India". Archived from the original on 2013-03-31. Retrieved 2012-08-17.
- "Company Overview of Arabtec Engineering Services Llc". Businessweek.com. Retrieved 2013-04-21.
- "Company Overview of Arabtec Construction Syria Llc". businessweek.com. Retrieved 2013-04-21.
- "Arabtec Pakistan (pvt) Ltd". Pakistanbusinessjournal.com. Retrieved 2013-04-21.
- Target Engineering Construction Company
- Gulf Steel Industries Archived August 8, 2010, at the Wayback Machine
- "Polypod Middle East". Archived from the original on 2011-07-06. Retrieved 2010-07-13.
- "Arabtec Egypt Nets Amer Group Contract". arabianbusiness.com. 2013-04-21. Retrieved 2013-04-21.
- Dinesh Nair (24 September 2013). "Dubai builder Arabtec launches venture with Samsung Engineering". Reuters.
- "Raheja Developers in JV to build tallest towers in NCR". India Today. 5 November 2011. Retrieved 14 March 2015.
- http://www.arabtecholding.com/CertificateDetails.aspx?id=13[permanent dead link]
- AME Info Archived June 7, 2011, at the Wayback Machine
- Press Release Emaar
- Estates Dubai
- AME info Archived June 7, 2011, at the Wayback Machine
- Dubai Luxuary Homes Archived October 4, 2010, at the Wayback Machine