Aragon Project logo
|Original author(s)||Luis Cuende, Jorge Izquierdo|
|Initial release||10 February 2017|
|Operating system||Available as a Web app|
|Type||Open-source software, Free software, Decentralized autonomous organization, Decentralized decision-making, Blockchain, Cryptocurrency|
|License||Affero General Public Licensev3, CC0.|
Aragon is an open-source software project building tools and a platform for creating and managing digital organizations, companies and communities. The blockchain native organizations created on Aragon utilize Ethereum smart contracts and IPFS for a decentralized, peer-to-peer operating system. These types of organizations are often called decentralized autonomous organizations, however other kinds of organizations can be created on Aragon as well.
Luis Cuende who had been coder and an entrepreneur since a young age was initially named as Project Lead for Aragon. He's most notable work before Aragon include Asturix and Stampery and was an Advisor to the VP of the European Commission. For Asturix he won the Hack Now contest (in the under-18 category), an award for the best app or "hack" sponsored by HackFwd in Spain. He has also received recognition as Forbes 30 Under 30 and MIT Technology Review, Spanish Edition's Innovators Under 35
Jorge Izquierdo was named as Tech Lead for the project. His previous work included successful iOS apps and he had mostly worked as a iOS Developer. In 2017 he was named as a Thiel Fellow for his work on Aragon.
The development of Aragon was funded in a crowdfunding campaign that took place May 17th 2017. The Aragon Network Token (ANT) sale gathered $25,000,000 in under 15 minutes and was the fourth largest crowdfunding campaign, and second largest in the blockchain space, at the time.
Aragon Network is a part of the Aragon project alongside the client and tools. It is a digital jurisdiction with its own court system that is currently under development and scheduled to launch in 2019. Aragon Network is going to be a community governed jurisdiction that offers insured agreements and dispute resolution to entities that opt-in to the system.
The first Aragon client alpha version was released March 20th 2017. The early version of the client and platform was geared towards creating digital companies on the blockchain, but evolved over time to cover much broader and general usecases than just companies. It was claimed to be “everything you need to run your company”, with accounting, bylaws, cap table, governance, fundraising and payroll covered through a unified interface.
- v0.1 (Ethereum Kovan testnet)
- 1 March 2017 (released as private alpha)
- v0.2 (Ethereum Kovan testnet)
- 9 March 2017 (released as private alpha)
- 20 March 2017 (public alpha release)
- v0.3 (Ethereum Kovan testnet)
- 30 March 2017
- v0.5 (Ethereum Rinkeby testnet)
- Release title: Architect
- 29 March 2018
- v0.6 (Ethereum Mainnet)
- Release title: Alba
- 30 October 2018
Awards and nominations
|2018||CogX||Outstanding Innovation in Blockchain: Governance||Won|
|2018||The Europas||Hottest Blockchain Protocol Project||Finalist|
- "Aragon on Github". GitHub.
- Scott, Michael (23 May 2018), "Aragon: Reshaping the Global Economic Divide With Blockchain Technology", Nasdaq
- Aragon DAO explorer, 29 March 2019
- Scout Aragon Dashboard, 29 March 2019
- Wilson, Alexandra (6 June 2018). "'Chain Gang: The Boldest Blockchain Companies From The Forbes 30 Under 30". Forbes.
- Introducing Aragon: Unstoppable companies, 10 February 2017
- Luis Iván Cuende - European Commission
- HackNow Winner: Luis Iván Cuende, 22 September 2011
- 30 Under 30 2016 Europe: Technology - Forbes
- Luis Cuende - Innovators Under 35
- Thiel Foundation Announces 2017 Thiel Fellows, 16 June 2017
- Chavez-Dreyfuss, Gertrude (19 May 2017). "Blockchain token sale nets $25 million in under 15 minutes". Reuters.
- Nation, Jeremy (19 May 2017). "Aragon ICO Makes Millions In Minutes".
- Das, Samburaj (18 May 2017). "Ethereum-Based Aragon Raises $25 Million Under 15 Minutes in Record ICO".
- Portfolio — Boost VC
- "Boost VC Issues Call for Crypto Startups", Yahoo Finance, 29 October 2018
- Pre-Sale Transparency Report
- Ethereum-Based Aragon Partners ShapeShift for Upcoming Token Sale, 16 May 2017
- First jurisdiction on the blockchain, 9 October 2017
- DAO Manager Aragon Gets Alpha Release, 21 March 2017
- Aitken, Roger (20 April 2017). "Forbes 'Under 30' Tech Prodigy In Cryptosale For Ethereum-Built Management Platform". Forbes.
- Aragon Launches on Ethereum Mainnet: Killer Application of DAOs, 2 November 2018
- @AragonProject on Twitter
- Here are the finalists for The Europas Awards 2018, July 3, London