|Produced by||B. Shashi Kumar|
|Written by||M. T. Vasudevan Nair|
|Music by||Raghunath Seth|
|Edited by||M. S. Mani|
|Distributed by||Mudra Release|
Aranyakam (Malayalam: ആരണ്യകം) is a 1988 Malayalam film directed by Hariharan, written by M. T. Vasudevan Nair, and starring Saleema, Devan and Vineeth. The film was produced by B. Sasikumar. Music was composed by Raghunath Seth, lyric-ed by O. N. V. Kurup, and vocals by K. J. Yesudas, and K. S. Chitra.
The film handles the issue of exploitation of Adivasis by feudal lords, and that of Naxalism which attempts to resist and counter this, and of how the feudal lords use the 'system' to suppress the resistance. The film speaks through the eyes of protagonist Ammini(Saleema), a 16 old girl whose life takes a turn when Mohan(Vineeth) ,who has love interest on her and a stranger(Devan) who continues to aspire her and believes in her brilliance unlike everyone else, enters her life. The latter turns out to be a Naxalite who has been conspiring to kill her uncle, a feudal lord(Jagannatha Varma) who has been exploiting the tribal community in the area for his own personal interests.
- Saleema as Ammini, the protagonist who aspires to be a writer.
- Devan as a naxal activist.
- Vineeth as Mohan, cousin of the protagonist, and a research scholar who does an academic research on Adivasis.
- Nedumudi Venu as a feudal lord, and grandfather of the protagonist.
- Jagannatha Varma as Madhavan Nair, a feudal lord, and a relative of the protagonist.
- Parvathy as Shailaja, a cousin of the protagonist.
- Balan K. Nair as Ravunni, a police officer.
- Bahadoor as Nanu, house keeper at the feudal home.
- Prathapachandran as Nambiar
- Captain Raju as a police officer
- Sukumari as Madhavan Nair's wife
- Valsala Menon as Nambiar's wife
|1||"Athmaavil Muttivilichathu"||K. J. Yesudas|
|2||"Olichirikkaan Vallikkudilonnorukki"||K. S. Chitra|
|3||"Thaarakale"||K. S. Chitra|
|4||"Thanichirikkaan Ivide Enikkkoru (Slow)"||K. S. Chitra|
|This article about a Malayalam film of the 1980s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|