Arata: The Legend
|Arata: The Legend|
|Genre||Action, Adventure, Fantasy, Romance|
|Written by||Yuu Watase|
|Magazine||Weekly Shōnen Sunday|
|Original run||October 2008 – February 2013 (hiatus)|
|Anime television series|
|Directed by||Kenji Yasuda
Woo Hyun Park
|Music by||Kou Otani|
|Network||TV Tokyo, TVA, TVO, AT-X|
|Original run||April 9, 2013 – July 1, 2013|
Arata: The Legend (アラタカンガタリ 〜革神語〜 Arata Kangatari?), a Japanese manga written by Yuu Watase that began serialization in the manga magazine Weekly Shōnen Sunday in 2008. The first volume of the series was released in Japan on January 16, 2009. The series has twenty-four volumes and is still serialized in Shōnen Sunday. The series is Watase's first shōnen series. It is licensed by Viz Media as part of their Shōnen Sunday imprint.
In a mystical world called Amawakuni (天和国, Amawakuni), a ceremony marking the new governing princess is about to occur for the first time in 60 years. Only a maiden from the Hime Clan may take this position, but a boy called Arata must pose for the role, due to the lack of females born to this family. During the ceremony, the Twelve Shinshō, the wielders of special swords called Hayagami (劍神, Hayagami), led by Kannagi, betray Princess Kikuri and attempt to assassinate her and Arata (an eyewitness) in a submission competition to become emperor. Kannagi frames Arata for the princess' murder, Arata manages to escape and runs into the Kando Forest.
Meanwhile, in modern-day Japan, a shy boy named Arata Hinohara is starting his new life in high school. He wants to put memories of his difficult past behind him, but things aren't going to be simple when Masato Kadowaki, the bully from his old school, emerges. Feeling the world is untrustworthy, Hinohara walks into an alley, and soon finds himself in Amawakuni, where the world mistakes him for "Arata". Having to run to Arata's house, Hinohara learns from Arata's grandmother that he and the other Arata have "switched lives" according to legend within Kando Forest. When Kannagi searches the house, Hinohara comes across a rusted sword, activates its power, and becomes a Shō (鞘, Shou). The sword is a Hayagami named Tsukuyo.
Kotoha, Arata's childhood friend, offers Hinohara the princess' charm (ミチヒノタマ, Michihi no Tama) before he is arrested. In a jail cell, Hinohara contacts Arata via the other charm Kotoha had given him, where he discovers the truth from Arata, and are forced to take each other's roles. At the Imperial Court, Hinohara is found guilty, and exiled to Gatoya Island. On the trip to the island, Kotoha tags along and gives him his Hayagami. Also because of the charm's power he is able to talk to Kikuri (who is just barely alive) and she asks him to govern the world as otherwise there will only be war. After escaping Gatoya Island, Hinohara and Kotoha with their new friend Kanata, a former bandit, head to the mainland on a quest to restore order and save the princess.
At the same time, Arata emerges from the forest and finds himself in Japan. He has a run-in with the police because he is shirtless but is saved by Nao, Hinohara's sister, and is taken into Hinohara's family mistaking him for their "Arata". He goes to school where he meets and befriend a strange girl named Imina Oribe. Later, Arata discovers Imina is a girl from the Hime Clan who ended up lost on Earth 15 years ago. Harunawa, an agent of the mysterious Six Shinshō, is ordered to eliminate Imina as of preventing her from becoming a successor for Kikuri. Together Arata and Imina search for information (prophecies) on how to stop the Six Shinshō's ambition to rule both Amawakuni and Earth.
Traveling across the mainland, Kannagi reluctantly joins Hinohara's group when a vengeful Akachi has stolen his Hayagami. Kotoha eventually learns Hinohara's true identity as the duo become close. Upon realizing the situation, Kadowaki is summoned in Amawakuni and also becomes a Shō as he activates a Hayagami, a spear named Orochi. Determined to fight Hinohara, Kadowaki repeatedly encounters him on his journey. Having Yorunami and Kugura, members of Twelve Shinshō, submit to Hinohara. He soon finds his destiny as Emperor Of Hinowa – the origin of all Hayagami – he embarks with Mikusa and Rami, relatives from the Hime and Uneme Clan. Hinohara later confronts Yataka, a Twelve Shinshō who loved Kikuri. Yataka receives a change of heart, and accomplices Hinohara's quest to redeem himself. After Kannagi retrieve his Hayagami from Akachi, Hinohara is lured into a conspiracy on Muroya Island by a fellow traveler Hiruha who has been manipulated by the Six Shinshō. Following Rami and Hiruha's deaths, the gang resolves in defeating the Six Shinshō, those who are revealed to be humans from Earth's past. Hinohara struggles to endure when Kadowaki absorbed Kanata, as to meet Kikuri and Tsukuyo's faith in him to rid the world of demons.
- Arata Hinohara (日ノ原 革 Hinohara Arata?)
- Voiced by: Nobuhiko Okamoto
- The main protagonist, along with Arata. Arata Hinohara is a shy, high school freshman from modern-day Japan. He is athletic, and used to run track in middle school. He's had life difficulties in trusting others that leaves his family worrying about him overtime. After being bullied by Kadowaki, betrayed by his friend Suguru, and feeling sorrowful, Hinohara is sucked into another world, Amawakuni, where he poses as the Arata from Amawakuni, who has been framed for the princess' murder. Soon after his entrance into the new world, he becomes a Shō, one chosen to wield the Hayagami Tsukuyo, the god of light, in the form of a sword. He promises Kikuri to help restore her power. Having to escape Gatoya Island, with the warden Tsutsuga's submission to Hinohara after he purified his heart, and gains his Hayagami Saniwa that judges a person's true nature, Hinohara embarks on a quest to govern the world from war. Along the road, Hinohara begins understand what he really must believe in. He eventually falls in love with Kotoha. When his Hayagami fully awaken, he gains three techniques which he can produce: ultimate-chain, flash-wave, and Sun-of-the-World; dispel darkness out of people's hearts. He is also blessed with the title Emperor Of Hinowa. With this new revelation, "Arata's" name for murdering the princess has been cleared throughout Amawakuni.
- Arata (アラタ Arata?)
- Voiced by: Yoshitsugu Matsuoka
- Arata, from Amawakuni, is outgoing, full of energy, and becomes bored quickly. At birth, his grandmother Makari, claimed that he was a girl but still raised him as boy. He is part of the Hime Clan, which provides the princesses to maintain balance in the world. With no other girls to succeed the current princess, Arata poses as a girl to become the princess' successor. At the succession ceremony, he witnesses the princess' assassination and is quickly framed for murder. He runs into the Kando Forest, where he switch places with Arata Hinohara from modern-day Japan. He puts his best efforts in going to school and trying to adapt in the new world, especially the family he never had. He and Hinohara are able to contact each other once in a while link through the princess' two charms which Kotoha had given them both. In the manga, Arata uses an odd cellphone strap infuse with Amatsuriki to counter Harunawa in a fight more or less.
- Kotoha (コトハ Kotoha?)
- Voiced by: Ayahi Takagaki
- Kotoha is Arata's childhood friend, even though her family the Uneme Clan has served the Hime Clan for years. She wishes to help others, and has the healing powers that all women of Uneme Clan have. She accompanies Hinohara on his quest. Like almost everyone else in Awamakuni, she thinks that Hinohara is the Arata from the Hime Clan who lost his memories after being "swallowed" by the Kando Forest, but later learns his true identity in chapter 41. In the anime, she figures it out when noticing his reactions to her and by the sudden appearance of Kadowaki. She also falls in love with Hinohara after being rejected by Arata, and is the first person to have trust in him. As the series progresses, Kotoha's healing powers have become stronger.
- Kannagi (カンナギ Kannagi?)
- Voiced by: Yuki Ono
- One of the Twelve Shinshou, he wields the Hayagami Homura, the god of fire. He incites the coup d'etat against the princess so that the Shinshou can use their Hayagami without limitations and also frames Arata for the murder. Kannagi is determining to become emperor for the sake of Emisu whom he loved. At first, he leads the manhunt for Arata, but later accepts Hinohara's offer to accompany on his quest in order to get revenge on Akachi for killing those he actually cares, including Ohika his faithful Zokushou, and having his Hayagami stolen. Kannagi swore to Ohika's young servant Honi that he will make things right again. In chapter 119, he finally retrieves his Hayagami, along saving an orphan that resembles Emisu. After Akachi's defeat, Kannagi now pledge to watch over the other Emisu and resume his desire to become emperor; though Hinohara understands him.
- Mikusa (ミクサ Mikusa?)
- She is a strong warrior type who disguised herself as a male her whole life due to circumstances and labeled as a fake member of the Hime Clan. At first, she tried to avenge Kikuri, but Hinohara able to prove his innocence. She doesn't trust others easily and is unsure how to respond to Hinohara and company in chapter 65. Mikusa neither does know how to behave like a woman; but after developing affections on Hinohara she starts to become more feminine. After deciding Hinohara's group is trustworthy she starts to open up towards the others. The only person she shows a softer side to was Rami. It is discovered in chapter 105, Mikusa was found at Kando Forest by Kikuri and is adopted into the Hime Clan 15 years ago, meaning she's the one who switched places with Imina and is Japanese.
- Yataka (ヤタカ Yataka?)
- Voiced by: Mamoru Miyano
- One of the Twelve Shinshou, he wields the Hayagami Zekuu, the god of void, in the form of a mirror. He is able to reflect a person's true character. He's very proper and conducts himself in a professional and chivalrous manner. Yataka first formal meeting Princess Kikuri is when she requested him to bring her to her home territory to visit her dying mother. Hinohara finds out inside Yataka's memony: Yataka and Kikuri soon became a couple and he begins seeing the world is pure. However, Kikuri left him without telling him. He believes Kikuri truly betrayed him; he grew resentful. When founding out the truth behind Kikuri's betrayal, Yataka suffers even more. Kotoha reveals to him that Kikuri suffered during this ordeal because she truly wished to be with him. Now convince of Kikuri's reasons, Yataka tried to submit to Hinohara, but he rejected him saying that he must atone for his actions. Instead, having his loyal Zokushou, Okima and Aoi, to take his position for the time being, Yataka accompanies Hinohara to help save Kikuri.
- Princess Kikuri (キクリ Kikuri?)
- Voiced by: Hibiku Yamamura
- Kikuri is the current princess of Amawakuni and has been in that position for 60 years. Most commonly called Himeou. She governs Amawakuni and leads the Twelve Shinshou. At Arata's succession ceremony, the Twelve Shinshou betray her and attempt to assassinate her (especially Yakata who originally instigated the assassination plot), leaving her in critical condition from Kannagi's attack. She clings to life with the last of her power, the Amatsuriki. She communicates with Hinohara and asks him to bring his Hayagami to her, in a last attempt to bring order to and prevent chaos in the world. Hinohara wishes to live up to Kikuri's faith in him. She serves a spiritual guide to Hinohara and is the one who helps to motivate him into saving Amawakuni.
- Kanate (カナテ Kanate?)
- Voiced by: Junko Minagawa
- He was part of a band of thieves and acts like an older brother to another orphan, Ginchi. Kanate and Ginchi were prisoners of Gatoya Island, along with Kotoha and Hinohara. Hinohara saves Kanate from Tsutsuga, the warden of the island, and they later become friends. Kanate escapes Gatoya in a ship with the others. Ginchi reunites with his mother apparently, Kanata accompany Hinohara and Kotoha on their quest. Wanting to become strong, Kanata accepts the Hayagami called Happujin-Nigana from one of Kugura's dying Zokushou and pursues to fulfill his purpose as a Shō, and left the group in chapter 73. Kanate observes Kadowaki's actions, and later (under Ikisu's influence) he submits to him.
- Rami (ラミ Rami?)
- Rami is a Uneme Clan sidekick to Mikusa. Rami is one of the more forceful members of the group and makes sure her opinions are heard. She annoys easily whenever anyone bothers Mikusa, who she treats as a sister. Rami is a healer like Kotoha; with better abilities. Rami has a good heart, but most of her affections are reserved for Mikusa. Rami is killed in the conflict on Muroya with Hiruha, and Mikusa vows to avenge her.
- Hiruha (ヒルハ Hiruha?)
- He is a member of Kugura's Zokushou. Hiruha wears a goofy grin throughout the story. He likes to travel on his Hayagami called Happujin-Raku and is often seen floating in the air. Hiruha and his family members were criminals enslaved 52 years ago on Muroya, a prison similar to Gatoya. All criminals were treated poorly, so Hiruha without thoughts left Muroya by taking the secret passage underground railway to Kugura's domain. However, not long before he had gone to visit his family only to find them all massacre by Sata the Shō who formally ruled Muroya went mad because of the Six Shō. After Kugura's submission, Hiruha eventually joins Hinohara's quest in chapter 88. Hiruha aims to use Hinohara's Tsukuyo to revive his family somehow. When Hiruha finds out Kikutsune's deception, he confronts him, but backfires and then died. Kannagi performs a funeral pyre for Hiruha and Rami.
- Nasake (ナサケ Mercy?)
- Nasake is Ameeno's son and served as his Zohushou who has feminist appearance, and makes a sudden debut in chapter 193. He uses a unique Hayagami called Furenzu, a sword; a pair of glasses that can awaken an enemy's instinct of protection, thereby charming them. Nasake disgust his father's actions and refused to participate in the submission battle. He hastening attempted to submit to Hinohara, instead Hinohara reluctantly has him lead them. Nasake and Mikusa develop a relationship. Following Ameeno's submission to him, he then entrust and submits to Hinohara.
- Akachi (アカチ Akachi?)
- Voiced by: Tatsuhisa Suzuki
- A former friend of Kannagi. Akachi wields the Hayagami Okoro, the god of earth. He and Kannagi grew up together as close friends, but they were separated during a mutiny by the villagers when he held off the mutineers to let Kannagi escape with his half-sister Emisu. Following the death of Emisu, he has developed a strong hatred for Kannagi, just like Hinohara and Kadowaki. Akachi soon gives Kadowaki his own advice on how to gain strength, seeing their similarity, and entrusts an eye of his to him. Akachi is determined to become emperor to settle things with Kannagi. A shocking revelation in chapter 122, Akachi had long since died 132 years ago, and remained an undead due to his bound contract with his Hayagami, he then entrusts his Hayagami to Kannagi to continue living.
- Yorunami (ヨルナミ Yorunami?)
- Voiced by: Sōichirō Hoshi
- Yorunami controls rain in his domain, where a city of rich people resides. He wields the Hayagami Nakisawa, the god of water, in the form of a fan. Ever since he was a child, he had dedicated himself to gain acknowledgment from his strict mother, which the desire continued into his adulthood. In his attempt, to have Hinohara submit his Hayagami to him is for the sake of his late mother. His Zokushou, Hiruko, believes Hinohara can truly change Yorunami's heart. Despite his failure to Hinohara's strong resistance, Hinohara made Yorunami realize how important he was meant for his mother when opening a memento that contain a necklace which Yorunami made for his mother. Yorunami, Hiruko, and his followers then submit their power to Hinohara putting their faith in him.
- Kugura (クグラ Kagura?)
- Voiced by: Go Inoue
- Kugura appears as adult and a giant in general as he's physically a child in secret. He wields the Hayagami Shinado, the god of wind, in the form of wings, and is capable of flying. Obviously much to Kugura's childish temper, he furiously lashs out with violent winds at his older brother Eto for him getting involve with his business, or with Hinohara. Kugura states to Hiruha that he "owe" Eto which confuses Hiruha. Kugura likes to be in the company of women because he is looking for a wife. Unfortunately, he fails to notice small details and falls in love with a cross-dressing Hinohara. He is jealous of Eto's calm mature nature, Kugura wants to be treated as an adult. When Kadowaki subjugates Eto, Kugura submits to Hinohara hoping to see how he would recreate the world above the sky.
- Mumei (ムメイ Mumei?)
- The last Twelve Shinshou member. Mumei has long been hidden in mystery. It may speculate that his Hayagami is the god of time, powers that are time considerate he displayed two time clocks on him. It may most likely that Mumei was originally an adult as he may use time to reverse his age. It states Mumei is a possible member of the Six Shō.
The Six Shō (except Harunawa) are former humans from Earth that arrived in Amawakuni through Kando Forest with severe disabilities and hatred towards reality due to their tragic past.
- Shimu (シム Shimu?)
- Voiced by: Ken'ichi Koike
- The designating leader of the Six Shō. Shimu displays no emotion. His main objective is returning to Earth, how he wishes to return to his world as its new emperor after so long of being in Amawakuni and he isn't bothered by the thought of people dying as he pursues his goal. His Hayagami could be the god of mind. Shimu seems to have the most seniority over the other members of the Six Shō. Shimu remains composed even when Kadowaki and Kikutsune lose their temper with him. However, his status can silence both men since they sense he is a very powerful foe to trifle with. Shimu was the one who actually influenced Yataka to assassinate the princess, which is part of his goal.
- Shimu's past remains unknown. Though it indicates he came from the ages of World War II occurred in Germany.
- Harunawa (ハルナワ Harunawa?)
- Voiced by: Akira Ishida
- Harunawa is the coldest member of the Six Shō. He wields the Hayagami Bakuto, the god of touch. Harunawa later enters Kando Forest deciding to go into another world to their plot in eliminating Hinohara, and Harunawa switched with Kadowaki to Japan in chapter 52. He can act quite social and is able to adapt to his surroundings quickly as shown by his ability to norm into Japanese culture. He suggests that Kikoku Island and Kando Forest are connected. Harunawa is the only member who doesn't have any origination with Earth.
- During the time period where Princess Kikuri leaves the Amawakuni capital to visit her dying mother, Harunawa use the chance to slaughter the Hime Clan's female individuals to prevent successors to Princess' title. Harunawa almost kills a young Arata after murdering his parents. Arata's grandmother, Makari, saved him when she reveals Arata is a boy. In Japan, Harunawa meets Arata again, who has no memory of the Shō until later in chapter 169. Harunawa release his delay curse mark on Arata up to then Imina heals him. Harunawa eventually discovers Imina is the one Hime Clan female who managed to escape from his massacre 15 years ago. He walks off in boredom; waiting for the right moment. Now Arata looks to avenge his deceased family and protect Imina.
- Kikutsune (キクツネ Kikutsune?)
- Voiced by: Kouji Takeda
- A deaf member of the Six Shō. He wields the Hayagami Kisaru, the god of sound. He can be haughty and malicious. His whistling is known to have manipulated Hiruha by feeding him lies of how to save his deceased friends and family's souls on Muroya. Commanding his Zokushou (Tagiri) to steal people's eardrums, losing their hearing, except for Hinohara's who is listening to his iPod. Having Tagiri and his lover Sarasu reunited, Hinohara defeated Kikutsune leaving him defenseless when Hinohara gets distracted by a volcanic eruption, Kadowaki absorbs Kikutsune.
- Kikutsune used to be a harp-player from the Roman Empire times. He had originally reached the top of Odeon, and was recognized as a genius musician. All of the citizens highly praised Kikutsune for his melody. His dream ended however, when one night an aristocratic musician sent his men to attack him out of jealous. Kikutsune was badly beaten and his eardrums were heavily damaged causing him to lose his hearing. He ended up committing a crime to get revenge. The original citizens who praised his beautiful music quickly turned their backs on Kikutsune humiliating him and not acknowledging the truth behind his ordeals. He was to be executed in the Amphitheatre of Pompeii, Italy. Right before the event started, Mount Vesuvius had started a huge eruption causing the town to almost be destroyed. Kikutsune falls into an abyss and is transported to Amawakuni.
- Isora (イソラ Isora?)
- A non-vocal member of the Six Shō. Isora wore a mouth cover all the time, because he is unable to speak. Though, as he wields the Hayagami Kohaku, the god of taste, he gained the ability to generate words and communicate. Isora chooses to observe from the sidelines and prefers to keep his intentions hidden; only Kikutsune claims to know what Isora is thinking and considers him as a brother-in-arms. Isora kidnaps Mikusa to prevent Imina from returning to Amawakuni. Isora judges Hinohara whether he considers Kadowaki a friend or an enemy where his decision remains unanswer. After Hinohara rescues Mikusa, Isora became vulnerable and chose to submit to Kadowaki.
- Isora used to live in Europe from the Middle Ages. He once had a very good life as an aristocratic family until his close friend; whom he used to trust and went to negotiate the inquisition to protect him, had betrayed Isora by accusing he's a witch. He was sent to the inquisition and was persecuted in the witch trials. Isora has been tortured daily and had his tongue been burned and pulled out with a red-hot iron stick. Before he was tortured for his false crime, Isora discovered that his friend had only care and wanted the valuable inheritance that was handed down to him. He became beyond untrustworthy wanting to confirm all humans are evil. After Isora being dunk several times, he resurfaces in Amawakuni.
- Ikisu (イキス Ikisu?)
- A feminine member of the Six Shō. The most prominent feature about Ikisu is that, he's physically a male, though he prefers to be a woman, wearing magical scent cosmetics to glamorize his appearance. Ikisu acts in a charming way, intense anger; fears the dark. He wields the Hayagami Nouga, the god of scent. He uses the power of scent to mislead people's emotions. When Hinohara witnesses Kanate's submission to Kadowaki, he demonizes and goes on a rampage, Ikisu causes him to worsen his transformation (in chapter 204) until Kotoha recklessly step in and gets injured which prompts Hinohara to change back to normal. Ikisu is later subjugated to Ameeno's rebellion.
- Ikisu used to live in France who was treated poorly and had bad stench. With his mother Matilde constantly annoyed by the scent of smell, and apparently abuse Ikisu as a filthy child acting as if he is unrecognizable and dumped him in sewage where he ends up in Amawakuni.
- Ameeno (アメ エノ Ameeno?)
- A blind member of the Six Shō. He wields the Hayagami Megudo, the god of sight. Ameeno is completely abusive and forceful who engaged in internal violence. He doesn't value people's lives. He simply confronts Ikisu with the smell of corpses (which make him hard to breathe, since Ikisu has a strong sense of smell) and abuses Nasake violently when Nasake disobey him. He commands his gang of blindfolded Zokushou to withstand Hinohara's group. Ameeno tortures Hinohara, similar to his experience of Kadowaki's bullying. When Shimu invades the area Ameeno goes full impact against his army of aircraft, but is ultimately defeated. Seeing Nasake standing up for him, he opens his heart and submits to Nasake then later Hinohara.
- His past is seen when Ameeno presumably escaped from black slavery in Africa which he winded up in Amawakuni and was found by Nasake's mother.
- Masato Kadowaki (門脇 将人 Kadowaki Masato?)
- Voiced by: Ryohei Kimura
- The major antagonist of the series. A former best friend of Hinohara from middle school where they were both on a track team that Kadowaki praised him so. However, due to family issues and strong acceptance, Kadowaki develops a furious energetic behavior. In high school, he and Hinohara have the same class. He bears hatred towards Hinohara because when Hinohara loses in a track tournament Kadowaki believes that he looks down on him, and constantly bullies Hinohara. He causes everyone to turn against Hinohara, including his friend Suguru. Upon learning that Arata and Hinohara are both completely different people, Kadowaki also gets switched with Harunawa (chapter 45); arrives in Amawakuni. Allowing him to wield the Hayagami Orochi, the god of darkness, in the form of a spear, and seeks to hunt Hinohara. He is insistence to fight Hinohara in a serious confrontation. When Hinohara tells the story how his kneel got injured from a car accident which he might not run as he used to, and helping him defenseless against Ameeno, it is uncertain that Kadowaki now reconciles with Hinohara.
- Imina Oribe (織部 実名 Oribe Imina?)
- Arata's schoolmate, who resembles Kotoha and makes a debut in chapter 39. She is able see Arata's true form. It is revealed in chapter 103, Imina is part of the Hime Clan that supposed to be killed 15 years ago by Harunawa, but failed because she escape and switched places with Mikusa and now living in Japan. She is the sole candidate to be Kikuri's successor. Arata and Imina have a close bond, since both feel out of place in Japan, upon discovering they both are from Amawakuni. Arata tries to convince her in returning with him. They care for one another and Imina considers herself Arata's protector.
- Miyabi (ミヤビ Miyabi?)
- Voiced by: Kaori Fukuhara
- Miyabi is an attendant to Harunawa, until he switch places with Kadowaki. She's had heart conditions since childhood. Miyabi, in her attempts at making friends with Kadowaki, performs various antics that annoy the boy. In a conversation where she tells Kadowaki that perhaps it isn't hatred for Arata Hinohara; but a desire to become his friend again. Overtime, Kadowaki starts to loosen up around her and show some concern for her when she collapse. She has feelings for him.
- Suguru Nishijima (西島 優 Nishijima Suguru?)
- Voiced by: Daiki Yamashita
- On the first day of school, Hinohara saves him from being falsely accused of being a pervert on the subway. They became friends and share video games, but Suguru later betrays Hinohara by covering his desk and chair with glue and overhears him saying they weren't friends. Arata learns that Suguru was pretending to go against Hinohara because of Kadowaki, for being a coward. Regretfully, Suguru really wants to be Hinohara's friend, and Arata accepts him in Hinohara's place. When Arata informs Hinohara how Harunawa absorbed Suguru as of getting back at him, Hinohara reconcile Suguru for his bravery.
- Nagu (ナグ Nagu?)
- Nagu is a loner child and highly indifferent to other people in generally. Nagu and his twin sister Naru were left alone when their parents abandon them. Nagu and Naru found a shelter on an island, but Naru soon died of starvation. Nagu becomes a Shō by wielding the Hayagami called Hakua, the ability to bring drawings to life, and creates a second Naru. He also drew children for Naru to make friends with. In chapter 33, when Hinohara and company arrive on the island, they gave care to them and the children until they accidentally discover the truth. Naru convinces Nagu go along with Hinohara in the outside world, as she and the children disappear. Nagu instead submits to Hinohara's Tsukuyo.
- Munakata (ムナカタ Munakata?)
- He is a member of Harunawa's Zokushou. A relaxing type and prefers to supervise his younger comrades. Munakata gives up an arm to replace Kadowaki's severed one. He acts as a spacing partner and new leader to Kadowaki.
- Seo (先生 Seo?)
- Seo is a mystery man from the Hime Clan. He appears to Hinohara out of nowhere and offers advice to when needed on his quest. Seo considers himself Hinohara's mentor.
- Nao Hinohara (日ノ原 仍 Hinohara Nao?)
- Voiced by: Ayaka Fukuhara
- Arata Hinohara's younger sister. After Harunawa's attempt to kill Nao failed, she learns the whole situation about Amawakuni and her brother being in Arata's place. Nao prays for her brother's return.
Written and illustrated by Yuu Watase, chapters of Arata: The Legend have been serialized in Shogakukan's Weekly Shōnen Sunday magazine since October 2008. As of now, Shogakukan has released twenty-three tankōbon volumes. The first volume was published on January 16, 2009 and the twenty-fourth on September 18, 2015. It is licensed in English by Viz Media as part of their Shonen Sunday imprint.
Rebecca Bundy of Anime News Network gave the first volume an overall B+ for "Great art and character designs; plus, Watase's ability to create interesting lore is as sharp as ever." She also noted, however, that the "Pathetic, cowardly main character makes everything involving him painful to read." Deb Aoki of About.com notes that the plot is "fairly formulaic fantasy fare that's just a bit too predictable to offer fans something truly fresh and new" but that the series has her "hooked." Todd Douglass of Blogcritics.org says that the first volume is "strongly recommended," despite some reservations. Christopher Nadolsk of Mania.com says that the first volume offers "an entertaining and eye-pleasing escapist fantasy read."
- アラタカンガタリ〜革神語〜 1 [Arata: The Legend 1] (in Japanese). Shogakukan. Retrieved February 25, 2010.
- アラタカンガタリ〜革神語〜 22 [Arata: The Legend 23] (in Japanese). Shogakukan. Retrieved March 20, 2014.
- "Arata: The Legend Gets TV Anime". Anime News Network. Retrieved 8 March 2013.
- "Arata: The Legend GN 1". Anime News Network. Archived from the original on 11 March 2010. Retrieved April 19, 2010.
- "Arata The Legend Volume 1 Manga Review". About.com. Retrieved April 19, 2010.
- "Manga Review: Arata The Legend - Volume 1 by Yuu Watase - Page 2". Blogcritics.org. Retrieved April 19, 2010.
- "Arata: The Legend Vol. #01". Mania.com. Retrieved April 19, 2010.