Aravaipa Canyon Wilderness
|Aravaipa Canyon Wilderness|
|Location||Graham / Pinal counties, Arizona, U.S.|
|Nearest city||Globe, Arizona|
|Area||19,700 acres (7,970 ha)|
|Governing body||Bureau of Land Management|
Aravaipa Canyon Wilderness is a 19,410 acres (7,850 ha) wilderness area located in the U.S. State of Arizona. It forms the northwest border of the Galiuro Mountain range. The wilderness is administered by the BLM and is located northeast of Mammoth, Arizona in Graham and Pinal counties, about 120 miles (190 km) southeast of Phoenix. The wilderness includes the 11-mile (18 km) long Aravaipa Canyon, the surrounding tablelands and nine side canyons.
The Nature Conservancy's Aravaipa Canyon Preserve protects 7,000 acres (28 km2) of private land and is contiguous with the BLM wilderness area. Pedestrian access to the preserve is allowed only with prior authorization from Preserve staff.
From Phoenix, take US Highway 60 to Superior. At Superior, take State Highway 177 to Winkelman. At Winkelman, take State Highway 77 south for 11 miles to Aravaipa Road. Follow Aravaipa Road 12 miles east to the trailhead. Access to the east end of the wilderness is west of Klondyke. A high-clearance vehicle is needed to reach the east trailhead.
At both ends, travel in the canyon requires wading in Aravaipa Creek.
7½ minute: Booger Canyon, Brandenburg Mountain, Holy Joe Peak, Oak Grove Canyon
Permits and fees
A permit is required to enter Aravaipa Canyon Wilderness. Use is limited to 50 people per day. Permits can be obtained via the Web.
- Redfield Canyon & Galiuro Wildernesses, southern Galiuro Mountains
- List of Arizona Wilderness Areas
- List of U.S. Wilderness Areas
- Native Fishes of Aravaipa Canyon
- "Aravaipa Canyon Wilderness". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey. Retrieved 2012-06-22.
- "Designated Wilderness Within The National Landscape Conservation System As Of September 30, 2011" (PDF). Bureau of Land Management.
- BLM Aravaipa Canyon Wilderness page
- Nature Conservancy Aravaipa Canyon Preserve
- Wilderness.net Aravaipa Canyon Wilderness page
|This article related to a protected area in Arizona is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|