Arawale National Reserve
|Arawale National Reserve|
IUCN category VI (protected area with sustainable use of natural resources)
Location of Arawale National Reserve
|Location||North Eastern Province, Kenya|
|Governing body||Kenya Wildlife Service|
The Arawale National Reserve is a designated conservation area managed by the Garissa County in assistance with the Kenya Wildlife Service. It lies in North Eastern Province of Kenya, 77 km south of the town of Garissa. The reserve covers an area of 53,324 hectares (533 km2; 206 sq mi). To the west, it is bordered by the Tana River and, to the east, by the Garissa-Lamu road. In 1974, the reserve was gazetted as the only in-situ conservation site for the critically endangered Hirola population endemic to north-eastern Kenya and south-west Somalia.
The reserve is a critical refuge for a range of wildlife species including four globally threatened species: hirola, Grevy's zebra, East African wild dog and East African cheetah. A study commissioned by Terra Nuova in 2006 also showed signs of presence of the African bush elephant.
- Andaje, S. A. (2002) Factors limiting the Abundance and Distribution of Hirola in Tsavo and Tana River Districts. Kenya Wildlife Service: Biodiversity Conservation Unit.
- Antipa, R. S, Ali, M. H. and Hussein, A. A. (2007) Assessment of the Potential of Eco/Cultural Tourism as Viable Enterprises in Southern Garissa, Ijara and Lamu Districts: A Community Conservation and Enterprise Support Initiative. National Environmental Management Authority of Kenya.
- Muchai, M. et al. (2007) The Distribution, Abundance and Habitat Use of the Hunter's Hartebeest (Hirola); Beatragus hunteri; Sclater, 1889 in Ishaqibini Community Wildlife Conservancy and Arawale National Reserve, Kenya. National Museums of Kenya.
- National Environmental Management Authority of Kenya
- Kenya Wildlife Service
- National Museums of Kenya
- EDGE of Existence – Top 100 Mammals
- IUCN Red List
- African Conservation Foundation
- Terra Nuova webpage (Italian)
|This North Eastern Province (Kenya) location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|