Part of Arboys-en-Bugey
Church in Peyzieu
|13.07 km2 (5.05 sq mi)|
|• Density||50/km2 (130/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+01:00 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+02:00 (CEST)|
|Elevation||221–495 m (725–1,624 ft) |
(avg. 300 m or 980 ft)
|1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km2 (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.|
The inhabitants of the commune are known as Arbignolans or Arbignolanes
The commune is located 4 km south-west of Belley and 30 km north-west of Chambery. It is traversed by the Tour du Bugey trail. It lies in the Appellation d'origine contrôlée (AOC) zone for wine from Bugey with the label "Roussette du Bugey-Arbignieu".
The commune can be accessed on the D69 from Belley in the north-east which continues west to Colomieu. The D100 road also branches from the D49 at the northern edge of the commune and goes south along the eastern side of the commune joining the D10 which passes through the commune from the D992 in the east through the hamlet of Peyzieu then south-west to Saint-Bois. There are three hamlets in the commune other than Arbignieu: Thoys, Slignieu, and Peyzieu. The commune is approximately half farmland and half forest with most of the forest along the western border.
List of mayors of Arbignieu
(Not all data is known)
Sites and monuments
- The Ball of Gargantua (stone cups)
- The ruins of the Chateau of Longecombe, a former Fief owned by the Luyrieu Family in the 14th century.
- The Fortified house of Thoy or Thuey
- General Parra's House (18th century) at Sillignieu
- The Church of Peyzieu, a hamlet in Arbignieu
- Césaire Nivière (1799-1879), agronomist, was born in Peyzieu in the current territory of the commune.
- Arbignieu on the old National Geographic Institute website (in French)
- Arbignieu on Lion1906
- Arbignieu on Google Maps
- Arbignieu on Géoportail, National Geographic Institute (IGN) website (in French)
- Arbignieu on the 1750 Cassini Map
- Arbignieu on the INSEE website (in French)
- INSEE (in French)
Notes and references
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Arbignieu.|