|Industry||Electricity generation |
Arc Innovations started as a subsidiary of Meridian Energy. Launched in 2003, Arc Innovations was established to develop and deploy electricity meters using advanced meter infrastructure. In 2014, Vector Limited was granted clearance to buy Arc Innovations from the Commerce Commission  from Meridian Energy with the sale completed for an undisclosed price on 1 December 2014.
Arc Innovations was the first company to introduce Smart Meters in New Zealand, rolling out the country’s pilot Smart Meter program in Central Hawkes Bay in 2005. Arc Innovation’s smart meter network relies on a mix of GPRS, RF Mesh network and satellite for the meter’s two-way communication.
Following Arc Innovation’s launch in 2003 the company spent two years researching and developing smart meters. The introduction of this first generation of smart meters saw 6,000 meters installed in Central Hawkes Bay over 2005 and 2006. Following this, 125,000 smart meters were deployed to the wider Christchurch area.
Following the two major earthquakes in September 2010 and February 2011, smart meters in Christchurch were able to be used to provide information to the city’s distribution network about power outages to individual homes.
- "Archived copy" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 27 January 2015. Retrieved 5 October 2017.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Advanced Metering Infrastructure". Arc Innovations. 8 July 2011.[permanent dead link]
- Annual Report 2003 (PDF) (Report). Meridian Energy. 2003. Archived from the original (PDF) on 23 May 2010. Retrieved 2 February 2012.
- Annual Report 2005 (PDF) (Report). Meridian Energy. 2005. Archived from the original (PDF) on 30 April 2012.
- Annual Report 2011 (PDF) (Report). Meridian Energy. 2011. Archived from the original (PDF) on 30 April 2012.
- "Rebuilding Christchurch Business: Disaster Recovery Plan Passes the Test". New Zealand Herald. 7 March 2011.
- "Arc Finalist in the New Zealand Energy Sector Excellence Awards". Arc Innovations. 8 July 2011.