Arca DJing in New York City
|Birth name||Alejandro Ghersi|
|Also known as||Nuuro|
October 14, 1989 |
Alejandro Ghersi (born October 14, 1989), better known by his stage name Arca, is a Venezuelan electronic producer, songwriter, mixing engineer and DJ based in Dalston, London. He has released three studio albums to critical praise and has produced for artists such as Björk, Kanye West, and FKA twigs.
Arca was born in Caracas, Venezuela. His father was an investment banker and his mother studied International Studies. His family moved to Connecticut for a time, before returning to Venezuela, where he was privately educated and was introduced to piano lessons. He describes his childhood as "kind of in a bubble", and had difficulty accepting the fact that he was homosexual. He released music in his teen years by the name of Nuuro, and received moderate popularity in his home country, with praise from big national artists such as Los Amigos Invisibles. He later attended the Clive Davis Institute of Recorded Music at NYU.
On February 1, 2012, Arca released his debut extended play, Barón Libre, through UNO NYC. Later that year, he released the Stretch 1 and Stretch 2 extended plays on April 19 and August 6 respectively.
In 2013, Arca was credited for additional production, programming and songwriting for five of the songs on Kanye West's Yeezus. He also served as one of the three production consultants. That same year on July 23, he released his &&&&& mixtape through SoundCloud and Hippos in Tanks. The project included an audio-visual performance alongside Jesse Kanda, who contributed the visuals, at MoMA PS1 in October 2013. On September 17, FKA Twigs' EP2 was released, on which Arca produced and co-wrote every song.
His debut studio album, Xen, was released on November 4, 2014 via Mute Records. Arca made significant contributions to Björk's ninth studio album Vulnicura which was released on January 20, 2015. He was credited as the co-producer of seven of the tracks, and the co-writer of two. His second studio album Mutant was released on November 20, 2015. He released the Entrañas mixtape on July 4, 2016 which was supported by the single "Sin Rumbo". On April 7, 2017, his third studio album, titled Arca, was released through XL Recordings.
- Baron Libre (2012)
- Stretch 1 (2012)
- Stretch 2 (2012)
- Eede, CHristian (11 September 2014). "Listen: Arca – Thievery". The Quieus. Retrieved 22 November 2015.
- "Arca announces debit it album". Acclaim Mag. Retrieved 5 July 2016.
- "Arca". Time Out. Retrieved 22 November 2015.
- Friedlander, Emile (September 30, 2014). "Cover Story: Arca Finds Xen". The Fader.
- "FEATURE: Venezuelan producer Arca is going to be huge.". Retrieved 2017-04-12.
- "Arca Announces DJ Tour with Total Freedom and Jesse Kanda". The FADER. Retrieved 2017-04-12.
- "Arca: ‘Nothing is off limits emotionally’ | Music". The Guardian. 2015-07-17. Retrieved 2015-11-25.
- Zeichner, Naomi (October 29, 2012). "GEN F: Arca". The Fader. Retrieved July 25, 2013.
- "Download Arca’s Debut EP Baron Libre". The Fader. Retrieved 22 January 2014.
- "Download Arca’s Stretch 1 EP". The Fader. Retrieved 27 September 2013.
- "Arca – Stretch 2 | Music Review | Tiny Mix Tapes". Tiny Mix Tapes. Retrieved July 25, 2013.
- "Credits" (PDF). Images.modlife.com. Retrieved July 25, 2013.
- "Download Arca's New Mix &&&&&". Pitchfork Media. Retrieved 27 September 2013.
- "Pitchfork's FORMS and MoMA PS1 Present a Multimedia Event Featuring Arca and Jesse Kanda". Pitchfork Media. Retrieved 25 January 2014.
- "FKA Twigs: EP2 | Album Review". Pitchfork Media. Retrieved 19 September 2013.
- "Signs to Mute. Debut album Xen out on 3/4 November. Hear the first single Thievery.". Mute Records. Retrieved 22 September 2014.
- Friedlander, Emilie (30 September 2014). "Cover Story: Arca Finds Xen". The Fader. The Fader, Inc. Retrieved 10 October 2014.
- Michaels, Sean (1 October 2014). "Björk working with Kanye producer Arca on next album". The Guardian. Guardian News and Media Limited. Retrieved 10 October 2014.
- Brandle, Lars (14 January 2015). "Bjork Shares Details on New Album 'Vulnicura'". Billboard. Billboard. Retrieved 14 January 2015.
- Minsker, Evan; Strauss, Matthew (15 October 2015). "Arca Details New Album Mutant, Shares "EN" Video". Pitchfork Media. Retrieved 25 April 2016.
- "Arca Signs to XL Recordings". XLR8R. Retrieved 2017-02-22.