The arcanaloth appeared in second edition in the Monstrous Compendium Outer Planes Appendix (1991). The arcanaloth appeared for the Planescape setting in the first Planescape Monstrous Compendium Appendix (1994).
In the fourth edition Manual of the Planes (2008), a new explanar race of elemental humanoids called the Raavasta are mentioned as possibly being descended from arcanaloth, which are now considered demons.
In the fifth edition Monster Manual (2014), arcanaloth are included alongside other yugoloths.
An arcanaloth is one of the jackal-headed scribes, record-keepers, negotiators, and deal-makers of the yugoloths. They are notable for their high intelligence, a trait often linked with their ability to use a number of arcane spells, as well as to understand all written and spoken languages. An arcanaloth also has the ability to take on humanoid forms at will in order to remain inconspicuous around creatures of the Material Plane.
- Mentzer, Frank. "Ay pronunseeAY shun gyd" Dragon #93 (TSR, 1985)
- Gygax, Gary. Monster Manual II (TSR, 1983)
- LaFountain, J. Paul. Monstrous Compendium Outer Planes Appendix. (TSR, 1991)
- Varney, Allen, ed. Planescape Monstrous Compendium Appendix (TSR, 1994)
- Bonny, Ed, Skip Williams, Jeff Grubb, Rich Redman, Steve Winter. Monster Manual II. (Wizards of the Coast, 2002). ISBN 0-7869-2873-5
- Baker, Richard, John Rogers, Robert J. Schwalb, and James Wyatt. Manual of the Planes (Wizards of the Coast, December 2008)
- Mearls, Mike, Stephen Schubert, and James Wyatt. p.162-163, Monster Manual (Wizards of the Coast, 2014)