Arcata High School
|Arcata High School|
|1720 M Street
Arcata, California 95521
|School type||Public high school|
|School district||Northern Humboldt Union High School District|
|Grades||9 - 12|
|Color(s)||Black and Orange|
|Rival||Mckinleyville High School|
Arcata High School is the primary public high school in Arcata, serving students in grades 9 through 12. It is located in Arcata, California and is part of the Northern Humboldt Union High School District.
Arcata High School was the first high school in Humboldt County, established in the late 19th century. In August 1894, an election was held involving the elementary school districts of Janes, Bayside, and Jacoby. The vote resulted in favor of founding a new high school. It was determined that the high school should be placed in Arcata, and named Arcata Union High School.
In 1903, in order to support the growth of the high school, a 6,000 dollar bond passed. This bond was used to construct the first school building on 16th and G streets, in Arcata. In 1912 enrollment reached 100 students. New buildings opened in 1920, 1924, and 1943. In 1944, enrollment had reached 500 students and 21 teachers were employed. In 1947, construction began on a new classroom wing and gymnasium. In 1952, the schools metal shop building, and science wing, began construction. In 1956, construction began on the wood shop building.
In 1994, Arcata High School had an enrollment of 940 students, 53 certified staff, and 24 classified support staff.
The total student population as of 2012 - 2013 was 826, with 49% male and 51% female. As of 2010, the school had an ethnic makeup of 93.6% Caucasian, 2.5% Latino, 13.9% Native American, 3.0% Asian-American, 1.6% African-American, 1.0% Pacific Islander, and 0.8% Filipino. 29% of the students are socioeconomically disadvantaged, 1.0% are English learners, and 13.5% have disabilities.
Arcata High School has a number of special programs through the Arcata Arts Institute, which helps students with a particular interest in the arts (music, dance, drama, etc.) to pursue their interests. In addition to the Arcata Arts Institute, Arcata High School has a Concert Choir, Madrigal Choir, Jazz Band, and the ArMack Orchestra.
As part of the Northern Humboldt Union High School District, Arcata High School is closely affiliated with the only other public high school in the district, McKinleyville High School. Groups such as the orchestra and the jazz band, as well as some drama productions, combine students from both schools.
Arcata High School is part of the Humboldt-Del Norte League of the CIF North Coast Section (NCS). The school fields a varsity team for every sport NCS offers.
- Medal of Honor recipient James Allen Taylor graduated in 1954 or 1955
- Christa Johnson, LPGA professional golfer.
- Geoffrey Owens, an actor best known as Elvin Tibideaux in The Cosby show
- Dane Iorg, former professional baseball player, primarily with the St. Louis Cardinals
- Garth Iorg, former professional baseball player for the Toronto Blue Jays
- Mike, Thomson (22 August 1994). "Members Resolution No. 1377". California Legislative Assembly: 1.
- "Arcata High School Overview". US News. US News. Retrieved 8 January 2016.
- Arcata High School, Western Association of Schools and Colleges Accreditation, 2012-2013
- EESARC 2010-2011 Executive Summary School Accountability Report Card, 2010–11 For Arcata High, School Accountability Report Card, 2010-2011
- "Arcata High School Madrigal Choir stranded in Italy as volcanic ash clouds airways". Times-standard.com. 2015-07-23. Retrieved 2016-01-30.
- Taylor, James Allen, MOH Citation, 2013
- Christa Johnson, LPGA Tour
- Geoffrey Owens Talks About Growing Up, The Cosby Show, and Life Now
- "Dane Iorg". www.baseballreference.com. Retrieved 3 February 2017.
- "Garth Iorg". www.baseballreference.com. Retrieved 3 February 2017.