Archbishop John Carroll High School
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Archbishop John Carroll High School|
|211 Matson Ford Road
Radnor, Pennsylvania 19087
|Motto||Pro Deo Et Patria
(For God and Country)
|Religious affiliation(s)||Roman Catholic|
|School district||Archdiocese of Philadelphia|
|President||Mr. Francis E. Fox|
|Principal||Dr. Anchen Schulz|
|Color(s)||Red and White|
|Accreditation||Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools|
Archbishop John Carroll High School is a four-year secondary school part of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Philadelphia, located in the heart of the Philadelphia's Main Line (Pennsylvania Railroad), on a 55-acre campus.
Archbishop John Carroll High School was opened in September 1967 then officially dedicated and blessed on April 28, 1968 as two separate secondary schools. They were called Archbishop John Carroll for Boys and Archbishop John Carroll for Girls and were the final secondary schools under the building program instituted by Cardinal John Krol. The schools were named for John Carroll, the first Bishop of the Church in the United States. The two schools became co-educational in September 1986, assuming the name, Archbishop John Carroll High School. The school is staffed by diocesan priests, Sisters of St. Joseph and lay personnel. The current student body numbers approximately 1,095 (2015).
Academic Program of Study
The curriculum is primarily college-preparatory with elective classes in the fine arts, business education and computer literacy offered.
The following class groupings are designed to accommodate the needs and challenges the abilities of each student:
- Diocesan Scholar Program (college courses taken during the senior year)
- Advanced Placement (college level work offered in 9 subject areas)
- Honors (above average)
- Track 2 (average)
Recently, Archbishop Carroll graduates have received scholarships worth over $24.5 million (2013), with 98% of all students continuing on to a college or university.
Archbishop John Carroll High Schools offers fall, winter, and spring sports, with over 60% of the student body participating in the athletics program. Archbishop Carroll athletic teams compete in the Philadelphia Catholic League and belong to the Pennsylvania Interscholastic Athletic Association PIAA. In the 2008-09 season, both the Boys and Girls varsity basketball teams won the PIAA AAA State Championship, earning 2 state titles for Archbishop Carroll.
- Cross Country, Boys/Girls
- Field Hockey
- Soccer – Boys/Girls
- Tennis – Girls
- Basketball – Boys/Girls
- Ice Hockey
- Indoor Track – Boys/Girls
- Swimming – Boys/Girls
- Lacrosse – Boys/Girls
- Outdoor Track – Boys/Girls
- Tennis – Boys
Archbishop Carroll offers a wide variety of extracurricular activities, including:
- Close Up Foundation
- Delco Hi-Q
- National Honor Society
- Pennsylvania Junior Academy of Science (PJAS)
- Reading Olympics
Fine Arts Programs:
- Archbishop Carroll Theater Society (ACTS)
- Band/Color Guard
- Concert Band
- Carroll Singers
- Jazz Band
- Stage Crew
Communications & Publications
- Student Ambassadors
- Student Council
- Patriot News TV
- Carroll Times
- Legacy (Yearbook)
Special Interest & Social Clubs
- Mock Trial
- National Art Honor Society
- Walking the Walk
- Best Buddies
- Dance Committee
- Blood Drive
- Community Service Corps (CSC)
- Students Against Drunk Driving (SADD)
- Maria Bello, actress; World Trade Center (film), Thank You for Smoking, Secret Window, Coyote Ugly (film), and ER (TV series)
- Neal Brennan, Co-Creater Chappelle Showand the movie Undercover Brother
- Kate Flannery, actress; The Office (US TV series) <
- Burt Grossman, retired NFL player, Philadelphia Eagles and San Diego Chargers
- Lawrence Nowlan, sculptor
- Gerard Phelan, Wide Receiver Boston College; caught famed Hail Mary pass from Doug Flutie (1984) vs. University of Miami
- John Prendergast, Class of 1981, human rights activist, author, and former Director for African Affairs at the National Security Council
- Maurice Stovall, Wide Receiver; Tampa Bay Buccaneers
- Melissa Murphy Weber, (R) PA State Representative
- Mike Costanzo, Former Third Baseman; Cincinnati Reds
- Joseph Clancy, Director of the Secret Service
Sources and references
- MSA-CSS. "MSA-Commission on Secondary Schools". Archived from the original on 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2009-05-23.
- "About - Archbishop John Carroll High School". Retrieved 2016-08-26.
- "Mission & Philosophy - Archbishop John Carroll High School". Retrieved 2016-08-26.
- "Academic Life - Archbishop John Carroll High School". Retrieved 2016-08-26.
- "Athletics - Archbishop John Carroll High School". Retrieved 2016-08-26.
- Morrison, John F. (2013-08-08). "Lawrence J. Nowlan Jr., 48, sculptor who was working on Frazier statue". Philadelphia Daily News. Retrieved 2013-08-27.