Archdeacon of Horsham
The Archdeacon of Horsham is a senior ecclesiastical officer in the Church of England Diocese of Chichester. The diocese almost exactly covers the counties of East and West Sussex and the City of Brighton and Hove, stretching for nearly a hundred miles (160 km) along the south coast of England.
The diocese originally had two archdeaconries created in the 12th century, namely that of Chichester and that of Lewes; a third archdeaconry was created in 1912 at Hastings. The archdeaconries were then reorganised under Eric Kemp (Bishop of Chichester) on 28 June 1975 with the Archdeaconry of Lewes being merged with that of Hastings and a new archdeaconry at Horsham being created.
Today the Bishop of Chichester is assisted by the suffragan bishops of Horsham and Lewes and there is one archdeacon for Chichester, one for Horsham and one for the merged Lewes & Hastings archdeaconry. Since 21 September 2014, Fiona Windsor has been the incumbent Archdeacon of Horsham.
List of archdeacons
- 1975–1983 (res.): Frederick Kerr-Dineen
- 1983–2002 (ret.): William Filby (afterwards archdeacon emeritus)
- 2003–30 June 2014 (ret.): Roger Combes
- 21 September 2014–present: Fiona Windsor
- "Chichester Diocese Website". Diocese of Chichester. Retrieved 17 January 2011.
- Hennessy, George (1900). Chichester Diocese Clergy Lists: Clergy Succession from the earliest time to the year 1900. London: St Peters Press. pp.2-3
- "West Sussex Records Office: Diocese of Chichester: Episcopal Records". National Archives. Retrieved 17 January 2011. VII
- The London Gazette: . 15 July 1975. Retrieved 26 May 2013.
- Kemp, Eric (2006). Shy but not Retiring: the memoirs of Eric Kemp. Jeremy Haselock. London: Continuum. p. 186. ISBN 978-0-8264-8073-6.
- Chichester Cathedral – Licencing of the Archdeacon of Horsham (Accessed 28 November 2014)
- Kerr-Dineen, Rev. Canon Frederick George. Who Was Who. 1920–2008 (December 2012 online ed.). A & C Black, an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing plc. Retrieved 4 June 2013.
- Filby, Ven. William Charles Leonard. Who Was Who. 1920–2008 (December 2012 online ed.). A & C Black, an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing plc. Retrieved 4 June 2013.
- Combes, Ven. Roger Matthew. Who's Who. 2013 (December 2012 online ed.). A & C Black, an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing plc. Retrieved 4 June 2013.