Archdeacons in the Diocese of Chelmsford
The Archdeacons in the Diocese of Chelmsford are senior ecclesiastical officers in the Church of England in Essex and East London. They currently include: the Archdeacon of West Ham, the Archdeacon of Colchester and the archdeacons of Chelmsford, of Harlow, of Barking, of Stansted and of Southend. Each one has responsibility over a geographical area within the diocese.
When the diocese was created, it consisted of the ancient archdeaconries of Essex and Colchester. The first changes to the diocese's archdeaconries occurred on 17 March 1922 when the Archdeaconry of Southend was created from the old Essex archdeaconry and that old archdeaconry renamed to West Ham; West Ham archdeaconry was further split to created the Archdeaconry of Harlow following a 1989 decision of the Diocesan Synod.
As part of Stephen Cottrell's vision for the diocese's long-term future, consultations occurred on proposals to create three new archdeaconries. On 1 February 2013, by Pastoral Order of the Bishop of Chelmsford, the three archdeaconries were created: the new Archdeaconry of Stansted from Colchester archdeaconry, a new Archdeaconry of Barking from West Ham archdeaconry and a new Archdeaconry of Southend created from Southend archdeaconry after it had been renamed the Archdeaconry of Chelmsford. Initially, the Archdeacons of Colchester, of West Ham and of Chelmsford were also Acting Archdeacons of Stansted, of Barking and of Southend respectively.
List of archdeacons
Further information: Archdeacon of West Ham
Further information: Archdeacon of Colchester
Archdeacons of Southend (before 2013) and of Chelmsford
Archdeacons of Harlow
Archdeacons of Barking
Archdeacons of Stansted
Archdeacons of Southend (since 2013)
- The London Gazette: . 17 March 1922. Retrieved 12 February 2013.
- Diocese of Chelmsford – Transforming Leadership
- Stephen Cottrell – Proposals to create new Archdeaconries in the Diocese of Chelmsford (accessed 28 December 2012)
- Diocese of Chelmsford – Archdeaconries in the Diocese of Chelmsford (Accessed 6 February 2013)
- Anglia Ruskin
- Church Times
- Church Times
- Chelmsford Diocese
- "The Ven the Archdeacon of Southend's Biography". Debretts. Retrieved 29 June 2012.
- Fox, Ven. Michael John. Who's Who 2013 (December 2012 online ed.). A & C Black, an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing plc. Retrieved 26 May 2013.
- Taylor, Ven. Peter Flint. Who's Who 2013 (December 2012 online ed.). A & C Black, an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing plc. Retrieved 26 May 2013.
- Webster, Ven. Martin Duncan. Who's Who 2013 (December 2012 online ed.). A & C Black, an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing plc. Retrieved 26 May 2013.
- Diocese of Chelmsford – Three new Archdeacons appointed (Accessed 12 May 2013)