Archduke Franz Salvator of Austria
|Archduke Franz Salvator|
|Born||21 August 1866|
|Died||20 April 1939 (aged 72)|
Vienna, Nazi Germany
|Spouse||Archduchess Marie Valerie of Austria|
(m. 1890–1924; her death)
Baroness Melanie von Riesenfels
(m. 1934–1939; his death)
|Father||Archduke Karl Salvator of Austria|
|Mother||Princess Maria Immacolata of Bourbon-Two Sicilies|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Archduke Franz Salvator of Austria-Tuscany.|
Archduke Franz Salvator of Austria, in Italian Francesco Salvatore Maria Giuseppe Ferdinando Carlo Leopoldo Antonio di Padova Giovanni Battista Gennaro Lodovico Gonzaga Raniero Benedetto Bernardo, in German Franz Salvator Maria Joseph Ferdinand Karl Leopold Anton von Padua Johann Baptist Januarius Aloys Gonzaga Rainer Benedikt Bernhard (Altmünster, 21 August 1866 – Vienna, 20 April 1939), was a member of the Tuscan branch of the House of Habsburg.
Early life and career
He was a son of Archduke Karl Salvator, Prince of Tuscany and his wife Princess Maria Immaculata of Bourbon-Two-Sicilies. He was a cavalry general in the Imperial and Royal (k.u.k.) Austro-Hungarian Army. He received an honorary doctorate in medicine from the University of Innsbruck for his work with the Red Cross during World War I and was a Knight of the Order of the Golden Fleece.
Family and children
He married first, in Ischl on 31 July 1890, Archduchess Marie Valerie of Austria (Ofen, 22 April 1868 - Schloss Wallsee, 6 September 1924), daughter of Franz Joseph I of Austria and wife Elisabeth in Bavaria.
Their children were:
- Archduchess Elisabeth Franziska Marie Karoline Ignatia Salvator (Vienna, 27 January 1892 - Schloss Syrgenstein, 29 January 1930), married at Niederwallsee on 19 September 1912 Count Georg von Waldburg zu Zeil und Hohenems (Hohenems, 7 January 1878 - Schloss Syrgenstein, 26 October 1955), and had issue.
- Archduke Franz Carl Salvator Marie Joseph Ignaz (Lichtenegg, 17 February 1893 - Wallsee, 10 December 1918), married one issue.
- Archduke Hubert Salvator Rainer Maria Joseph Ignatius (Lichtenegg, 30 April 1894 - Schloss Persenbeug, 24 March 1971), married at Anholt civilly on 25 November 1926 and religiously on 26 November 1926 Princess Rosemary of Salm-Salm (Potsdam, 13 April 1904 - Persenbeug, 3 May 2001), and had issue.
- Archduchess Hedwig Maria Immakulata Michaela Ignatia Salvator (Ischl, 24 September 1896 - Hall in Tirol, 1 November 1970), married at Schloss Wallsee on 24 April 1918 Count Bernhard zu Stolberg-Stolberg (Mankato, Blue Earth County, Minnesota, 20 January 1881 - Hall in Tirol, 22 September 1952), and had issue.
- Archduke Theodor Salvator (Schloss Wallsee, 9 October 1899 - Amstetten, 8 April 1978), married at Schloss Zeil on 28 July 1926 Countess Maria Theresa von Waldburg zu Zeil und Trauchburg (Neutrauchburg, 18 October 1901 - Munich, 17 July 1967), and had issue, including Princess Theresa.
- Archduchess Gertrud Maria Gisela Elisabeth Ignatia (Schloss Wallsee, 19 November 1900 - Ravensburg, 20 December 1942), married at Bad Ischl on 29 December 1931 Count Georg von Waldburg zu Zeil und Trauchburg (Hohenems, 7 January 1878 - Syrgenstein, 26 October 1955), and had issue.
- Archduchess Maria Elisabeth Therese Philomena Ignatia (Schloss Wallsee, 19 November 1901 - Innsbruck, 29 December 1936).
- Archduke Clemens Salvator Leopold Benedikt Antonius Maria Joseph Ignatius (Schloss Wallsee, 6 October 1904 - Salzburg, 20 August 1974); he assumed the title Prince von Altenburg on 2 April 1931, confirmed on him and his children 15 December 1949; married in Vienna on 20 February 1930 Countess Elisabeth Rességuier de Miremont (Nisko, Galicia, 28 October 1906 - Salzburg, 9 July 2000), and had issue.
- Archduchess Mathilde Maria Antonia Ignatia (Ischl, 9 August 1906 - Salzburg, 18 October 1991), married in Hall in Tirol on 9 April 1947 Ernst Hefel (Schruns, 25 November 1888 - Salzburg, 21 March 1974).
- Archduchess Agnes (Ischl, 26 June 1911 - Ischl, 26 June 1911).
Franz Salvator also had an illegitimate son by Princess Stephanie von Hohenlohe: .
- Franz Josef Rudolf Hans Weriand Max Stefan Anton von Hohenlohe-Waldenburg-Schillingsfürst (b. 5 December 1914). He was given the surname of his mother's husband at the time of his birth, although Franz Salvator was his father.
- "Costados Nobres de Portugal", Gonçalo de Mesquita da Silveira de Vasconcelos e Sousa e José Manuel de Seabra da Costa Reis, Livraria Esquina, 1.ª Edição, Porto, 1992, N.º 9
- "Archduchess Weds Tutor. Emperor Francis Joseph Said to Have Helped the Love Affair". The New York Times. September 19, 1912. Retrieved 2010-08-22.
The marriage of the Archduchess Elizabeth Franziska, daughter of the Archduke Francis Salvator, to Count George von Waldburg at Vienna to-day added another romance to the many in the records of the house of Habsburg.