Archduke Stefan of Austria
|Archduke of Austria
Prince of Tuscany
15 August 1932|
Mödling, Lower Austria, Austria
|Died||12 November 1998
Brighton, Michigan, U.S.
|Spouse||Mary Jerrine Soper
(m. 1954 - 1998; his death)
|Father||Archduke Anton of Austria|
|Mother||Princess Ileana of Romania|
Archduke Stefan of Austria, Prince of Tuscany (German: Stefan, Erzherzog von Österreich, Prinz von Toskana) (15 August 1932, Mödling, Lower Austria, Austria – 12 November 1998, Brighton, Michigan, United States) was a member of the House of Habsburg an Archduke and Prince of Tuscany by birth. Stefan was the eldest child and son of Archduke Anton of Austria and his wife Princess Ileana of Romania.
|This section does not cite any sources. (August 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Stefan was baptised with the name of Stefan von Habsburg-Lothringen. He was born in Mödling, Austria and spent the first years of his childhood in Castle Sonnberg, Austria. In 1942, he moved with his parents and four sisters and brother to Romania. While there, Stefan's parents made their residence at Bran, Braşov. After his 1st cousin, Michael of Romania,was forced to abdicate and expelled by the Communist late in 1947, Stefan left the country with his parents. Stefan then lived first in Switzerland, then in Argentina, and then finally in the United States. He was naturalized as a United States citizen. He was a graduate from Malvern Preparatory School and MIT. He established a division for advanced research at General Motors in Detroit, Michigan.
Marriage and issue
Stefan married morganatically to Mary Jerrine Soper (born 19 June 1931 in Boston, daughter of Charles B. Soper and wife Agnes McNeil; died 14 July 2015 in Farmington Hills, MI) on 26 August 1954 at St. Elizabeth's Church in Milton, Massachusetts. Stefan and Jerrine had five children together:
- ∞ Elizabeth Ann Blanchette, born Popejoy (born 22 January 1967 in Peoria, Illinois) on 2 May 1987 at Mount Tamalpais, California, and divorced in July 1994, daughter of Larry Lee Popejoy, of Cherokee descent, and former wife Regina Irene Keller, of German and Polish-Ukrainian descent, and adopted daughter of her stepfather ... Blanchette; she later remarried and has more six children
- Saygan Genevieve Habsburg-Lothringen (born 31 October 1987 in Marin County Hospital, San Rafael, California)
- With Leigh Thomas Schultes
- ∞ Catherine Ripley (born 5 September 1958 in St. Joseph's Hospital, Pontiac, Michigan) on 15 October 1994 at Clarkston, Michigan, and divorced in 2001, daughter of Anthony Ripley and wife Ann Mary Brunner and former wife of Romanian-born naturalised U.S. citizen Corneliu Nastase, whom she married on 2 August 1986 and divorced in 1993
- ∞ Teresa Murray (born 1958)
- ∞ David Snyder (born 18 November 1956 in Pontiac, Michigan) on 23 June 1979 in Farmington Hills, Michigan
- Alexandra Marie Snyder (born 18 August 1984 in Southfield, Michigan)
- ∞ Matthew Tillard on 25 June 2006
- Nicolas David Snyder (born 27 February 1986 in Southfield, Michigan)
- Constanza Ileana Snyder (born 23 June 1994 in Southfield, Michigan)
- ∞ Shari Suzanne Reid (born 1 September 1960 in Highland Park, Michigan) on 27 June 1981 in Farmington Hills, Michigan; divorced in 1985.
- ∞ Lauren Ann Klaus (born 9 May 1956 in Detroit) on 17 June 1989 in Union Lake, Michigan. They have adopted three children:
- ∞ Mark Lee Matheson (born 15 February 1958 in Grosse Pointe, Michigan) on 16 January 1987 in Franklin, Michigan. Divorced November 1, 1995.
- ∞ Michael Dale Bain (born January 4, 1962, in Rockwood, Tennessee) on November 8, 1997 in Marietta, Georgia.
- Michael Bain (born 1998)
- ∞ Ashley Byrd Carrell (born 23 August 1966 in Nashville, Tennessee; died 24 Oct 2002) on 5 October 1991 in Hiram, Ohio
- 15 August 1932 – 12 November 1998: His Imperial and Royal Highness Archduke Stefan of Austria, Prince of Tuscany
- (Note: Stefan was baptized with the name Stefan von Habsburg-Lothringen and later changed his name to Stefan Habsburg).
- Darryl Lundy (9 January 2008). "Erzherzog Stefan Habsburg, von Österreich". thePeerage.com. Retrieved 25 September 2009.
- Paul Theroff. "TUSCANY". Paul Theroff's Royal Genealogy Site. Archived from the original on 25 April 2009. Retrieved 25 September 2009.
- Leo van de Pas (28 July 2013). "Stefan, Archduke of Austria, Prince of Tuscany: Genealogics". www.genealogics.org. Retrieved 28 January 2015.[permanent dead link]
- Descendants of Duke Carlo III of Parma
- "The newest QVD: Theoden Adama Snyder"
- Genealogics[permanent dead link]
Dinastias.com Genealogical database