Slovak Catholic Metropolitan Archeparchy of Prešov
|Archeparchy of Prešov
The coat of arms of the Archeparchy of Prešov
|(as of 2012)
|Established||22 September 1818|
|Cathedral||Cathedral of St. John the Baptist|
|Metropolitan Archbishop||Ján Babjak|
|Auxiliary Bishops||Milan Lach|
The Slovak (Greek) Catholic Archeparchy of Prešov (Latin: Archieparchia Presoviensis, until 2008 Eparchy of Prešov) is the Metropolitan archeparchy (Eastern Catholic Archdiocese) of the Byzantine Rite Slovak Greek Catholic Church which covers the territory of the Prešov Region.
As of 2004 it had 136,593 Greek Catholic faithful. and its seat is in Prešov, where it has the cathedral see Greckokatolícka katedrálny chrám sv. Jána Krstiteľa; it also has a minor basilica Farský chrám Nanebovzatia Presvätej Bohorodičky, bazilika minor, in Ľutina. Current archeparch is the Jesuit Ján Babjak.
The eparchy was erected on 22 September 1818 from the territory of the Eparchy of Mukachevo.
Still in the Habsburg imperial age, on 1912.06.08 it lost its Hungarian territory to establish the Roman Catholic Diocese of Hajdúdorog (meanwhile the Hungarian Catholic Archeparchy).
In July 1995, it enjoyed a papal visit by John Paul II. On 18 January 1996 the eparchy lost its Czech territory to the newly established Ruthenian Greek Catholic Church's Apostolic Exarchate in the Czech Republic. On 17 January 1997, an apostolic exarchate of Košice (today Eparchy of Košice) was created, again split from its former territory.
The last changes occurred on 30 January 2008, when the Eparchy of Bratislava was erected, to which Prešov lost territory of western and central Slovakia. At the same time it was elevated into a Metropolitan archeparchy sui juris.
- Bishops of Prešov (Slovak Rite)
- Gregor Tarkovič (1818.09.26 – 1841.01.16)
- Jozef Gaganec (1843-1875)
- ThDr. Mikuláš Tóth (1876-1882)
- ThDr. Ján Vályi (1882-1911)
- ThDr. Štefan Novák (1913-1918)
- ThDr. Mikuláš Rusnák (1918-1922), Vicar General
- Dionisije Njaradi (1922-1927), Apostolic Administrator
- Pavel Peter Gojdič, OSBM (1927-1960)
- ThDr. Vasiľ Hopko (1947-1976)
- Mons. Ján Hirka (1969-2002)
- Bishop Ján Babjak, S.J. (2002.12.11 – 2008.01.30, cfr. infra: later first Metropolitan Archeparch)
- Metropolitan Archeparchs of Prešov (Slovak Rite)
- Archbishop Ján Babjak, S.J. (2008.01.30 – present), as above: previously bishop of Prešov