Archibald Acheson, 5th Earl of Gosford
This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Acheson was born in London on 26 May 1877. The son of Archibald Acheson, 4th Earl of Gosford, he succeeded to the earldom upon the death of his father in 1922.
He married Mildred Carter, daughter of American diplomat John Ridgeley Carter and Alice Morgan Carter, on 21 June 1910, with whom he had the following children:
- Lady Patricia Acheson (d. 1915)
- Archibald Alexander John Stanley Acheson, 6th Earl of Gosford (1911–1966)
- Patrick Bernard Victor Montagu Acheson (1915–2005)
- Lady Mildred Camilla Nichola Acheson (b. 1917; m. 1st Hans Christoph Freiherr Schenk von Stauffenberg, 1937 2nd Axel Freiherr von dem Bussche-Streithorst, 1950; d. September 11, 1965)
- Lady Mary Virginia Shirley Acheson (b. 1919); m. Fernando Corcuera, 1941 in Mexico)
In 1927, Lord Acheson left his first wife and went to New York City, where he married Beatrice Claflin on 1 October 1928. He then set up a wine shop in Manhattan, and joined the New York City Police Department.
Lord Gosford died in New York on 20 March 1954.
- "No. 27388". The London Gazette. 17 December 1901. p. 8917.
- Tinniswood, Adrian (2016). "The Long Weekend: Life in an English Country House Between the Wars", Kindle location 2564. Basic Books, New York. ISBN 0224099450
- "Archibald Charles Montagu Brabazon Acheson, 5th Earl of Gosford when Viscount Acheson as Raoul di Nangis". npg.org.uk. National Portrait Gallery, London. Retrieved 15 November 2017.
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by Archibald Acheson, 5th Earl of Gosford
- Archibald Acheson, 5th Earl of Gosford at Find a Grave
|Peerage of Ireland|
| Earl of Gosford
|This biography of an earl in the Peerage of Ireland is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|