|The Right Reverend
|Bishop of Grahamstown|
|Successor||Robert Selby Taylor|
|Born||24 September 1887|
|Died||16 June 1968|
|Previous post||Warden of St Paul's Theological College, Grahamstown|
Early life and education
He was born on 24 September 1887 to William and Louisa (née Howard). He was baptized in the Parish of St Jude, Peckham on 20 November 1887. His father was a Printer's Reader. Cullen was educated at Simon Langton Grammar School for Boys.
Ordained in 1916, his first post was a curacy in Coalbrookdale. During World War I he was a temporary chaplain to the Forces. When peace returned he was vicar of Umzinto in the Diocese of Natal, he later became chaplain and lecturer of Wells Theological College and then Vice-Principal of Leeds Clergy School. In 1926 he became warden of St Paul's Theological College, Grahamstown until his elevation to the Episcopate in 1931.
He died on 16 June 1968. in South Africa.
- Charles Gould (1924). Grahamstown Cathedral: A Guide and Short History. Grahamstown Diocesan Registry. p. xviii. Retrieved 16 September 2013.
- "London, England, Births and Baptisms, 1813-1906". London Metropolitan Archives. Ancestry.com. London, England, Births and Baptisms, 1813-1906 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA. 2010. Retrieved 2013-09-26.
- “Who was Who” 1897-2007 London, A & C Black, 2007 ISBN 978-0-19-954087-7
- "Canterbury". Whitstable Times and Herne Bay Herald. 10 September 1898. p. 4 col A. Retrieved 2014-11-03 – via British Newspaper Archive. (subscription required (. ))
- Crockford's Clerical Directory1940-41 Oxford, OUP, 1941
- "1911 England Census". Census Returns of England and Wales, 1911. Ancestry.com. 1911 England Census [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA. 2011. Retrieved 2013-09-26.
- "(Supplement) no. 29707". The London Gazette. 14 August 1916. p. 8007.
- "New Vice-principal of Leeds Clergy School". Yorkshire Post and Leeds Intelligencer. 20 June 1923. p. 11 col D. Retrieved 2014-11-03 – via British Newspaper Archive. (subscription required (. ))
- The Times, Wednesday, 28 Oct 1931; pg. 11; Issue 45965; col B Bishop Of Grahamstown The Rev. A. H. Cullen Elected
- The Times, Monday, 17 Jun 1968; pg. 4; Issue 57279; col D Bishop Cullen dies
- Portraits of Archibald Howard Cullen at the National Portrait Gallery, London
- University of the Witwatersrand
|Anglican Church of Southern Africa titles|
|Bishop of Grahamstown
1931 – 1959
Robert Selby Taylor