|Born||24 June 1924|
Yoker, Glasgow, Scotland
|Died||27 December 2012 (aged 88)|
|Alma mater||Hillhead High School|
University of Glasgow
|Known for||The Mirror Theorem in Celestial Mechanics|
|Awards||Myers Memorial Medal (SPR)|
University of Glasgow
|Doctoral advisor||Prof W M Smart|
|Influences||Prof W M Smart|
Professor Archie Edmiston Roy, was educated at Hillhead High School and the University of Glasgow. He was married to Frances with three sons; Dr. Archie W N Roy, Ian Roy and Dr. David Roy; and two grandchildren David and Fraser.
Professor Roy was a Fellow of the Royal Society of Edinburgh, the Royal Astronomical Society, and the British Interplanetary Society. He was also a Member and past President of the Society for Psychical Research and Founding President of The Scottish Society for Psychical Research.
He was also elected a member of the European Academy of Arts, Sciences and the Humanities. He was a Patron of the Churches Fellowship (Scotland) for Psychical and Spiritual Studies and a member of the Scientific and Medical Network. Archie Roy conducted research in astrodynamics, celestial mechanics, archaeoastronomy, psychical research, and neural networks.
In addition Roy has published 20 books, six of them novels, some 70 scientific papers and scores of articles. His books have been published in the United Kingdom, United States, France, Russia, Italy and India.
The Hungaria asteroid 5806 Archieroy, discovered by American astronomer Edward Bowell was named in his honor in 1994. In 2004 he was awarded the Myers Memorial Medal for outstanding contributions to psychical research by the Society for Psychical Research.
- Deadlight (1968)
- All Evil Shed Away (1970)
- The Curtained Sleep (1971)
- Sable Night (1973)
- The Dark Host (1976)
- Devil In The Darkness (1978)
- The Foundations of Astrodynamics (1965)
- Orbital Motion (1978)
- Long-Term Dynamical Behavior of Natural and Artificial N-Body Systems (Ed.) (1989)
- A Sense of Something Strange, Investigations Into the Paranormal (1990)
- Oxford Illustrated encyclopedia of the Universe (Ed.) (1992)
- Archives of the Mind (1996)
- From Newton to Chaos (Ed. with Bonnie A Steves) (1995)
- The Dynamics of Small Bodies in the Solar System: A Major Key to Solar Systems Studies (Ed. with Bonnie A Steves) (1998)
- The Eager Dead (2008)
- "Academic and writer Archie E Roy dies aged 88". BBC News. bbc.co.uk. 28 December 2012. Retrieved 29 December 2012. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- University of Glasgow Archived 11 August 2007 at the Wayback Machine
- "Staff Profile". www.newcastle.edu.au. 16 January 2015. Retrieved 28 December 2019.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 18 January 2013. Retrieved 2013-03-16. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link) CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- Schmadel, Lutz D. (2007). "(5806) Archieroy". Dictionary of Minor Planet Names – (5806) Archieroy. Springer Berlin Heidelberg. p. 490. doi:10.1007/978-3-540-29925-7_5459. ISBN 978-3-540-00238-3.
- Award given to Professor Archie E Roy, founder of the SSPR (2004) Scottish Society for Psychical Research
- Jackie Jones-Hunt, Moses and Jesus: The Shamans, page 6 (O-Books, 2011). ISBN 978-1-84694-471-0
- Devil in the Darkness by Archie Roy, with a new introduction by Greg Gbur, Valancourt Books