Architect of Destruction
|"Architect of Destruction"|
|How I Met Your Mother episode|
|Episode no.||Season 6
|Directed by||Pamela Fryman|
|Written by||Carter Bays & Craig Thomas|
|Original air date||October 18, 2010|
|Season 6 episodes|
Barney is excited that he and Ted get to work together since Ted is designing the new GNB building. However, when Barney reveals the site for the future building is to be situated on the current location of "The Arcadian," a hotel that Ted describes as an architectural landmark, Ted refuses to go through with it. Barney is suspicious as to why Ted is so against the old building's demolition, and eventually has Ted reveal that he met a girl, Zoey. Zoey was as adamant as Ted about preserving the building, and had even organized a public protest of keeping it from getting demolished. Ted admits joining the protesters, leaving Barney stunned. Barney realizes Ted must not have told Zoey he was the architect of the new GNB building, and Ted admits he had told her he was a veterinarian. Ted assures Barney he isn't against the plan because of Zoey, but Barney remains unconvinced, pointing out Ted had done crazy things before because of a girl. Later, Zoey reveals she had been arrested several times due to previous protests, and Ted, realizing how passionate she is, decides to join her in a picketing. Barney retaliates by having a billboard lowered in front of the building revealing Ted to be the architect of the new GNB building. Ted confronts Barney, who had hoped that Ted would agree to design the building after ruining his chances with Zoey.
Barney tells Ted he can design the building however he likes, and at this, Ted agrees to design the building. Ted incorporates the Arcadian's facade into the new building's design, thus preventing its demolition, and eagerly shows it to Zoey. Zoey is thrilled, but then Ted notices a ring on Zoey's finger, and Zoey confirms she is married. Ted then realizes he had been doing this because of Zoey, at which he promptly throws his design away and leaves. Later, Zoey has her group throw eggs at Ted's apartment window.
Meanwhile, Marshall and Lily continue to try to conceive a baby. Robin and Max have hooked up, and Marshall is happy for his former law school friend. However, after Lily tells Marshall that Max has a small penis, Marshall is flustered and is constantly thinking about it. While Marshall and Lily have dinner with Robin and Max, Marshall constantly makes references to it by mentioning sizes and trying to imply he still thinks Max is great. This makes it awkward for Robin and Lily, though Max doesn't seem to notice. When Max leaves momentarily, Marshall reprimands Robin and Lily for telling him about Max, and is then shocked to learn that Lily tells Robin about her sex life, too. Robin argues that Marshall probably does the same with other guys with "locker room" talk, though Marshall claims this never happens. Later, while having sex with Lily, Marshall is haunted by the thought of Lily telling Robin about it later, and Marshall ultimately storms out of the room. Marshall has Lily call Robin later, telling her the sex was amazing in a scripted speech, though Robin recognizes what Marshall is doing.
In the end, as Marshall, Ted, Barney, and Max gather in a locker room, Max states he's thinking of breaking up with Robin due to her odd behavior in the bedroom. Ted and Barney know what he's talking about, though when Marshall tries to ask about it, Max just scoffs and says "Locker room," and Max, Barney, and Ted leave.
In his blog, Barney suggests how to combine bros with the workplace.
- The name of the episode is a reference to Guns N' Roses album Appetite for Destruction. There is also a mention to the song "Paradise City", present in that album.
- Ted and Zoey also mention Guns N'Roses' 2008 album Chinese Democracy. Zoey was arrested after one of the band's concerts in 2009.
- When Ted walks into his apartment, Barney turns around in the swivel chair, stroking a rabbit. This is a reference to the James Bond villain Blofeld who iconically stroked a white cat in a lush swivel chair.
- Barney claims that the Star Wars prequel trilogy is better than the original films, which had "barely mentioned the intricacies of intergalactic trade law", referencing the trilogy's use of the Trade Federation as a plot device.
- Ted uses the line "I'm Batman!".
- In a flashback, Ted is seen dressed as a Union soldier. He also mentions that they are going to Gettysburg.
- Ted mentions that Lily and Marshall are fans of the Indigo Girls.
- Robin says that the penis of one of the group's men looks like Winston Churchill.
- In Marshall's mind, Robin mentions his style of love-making is like the character Lennie from Of Mice and Men. Robin and Lily discuss love-making as they are drinking cosmopolitans, mimicking the television series Sex and the City.
- One of the signs in the rally reads, "Gotham's Newest Bully", a reference to the fact that one nickname for New York City is "Gotham".
- Another sign reads "Goliath! David's coming to get you!" is a reference on the Biblical tale of David and Goliath.
Chris O'Hara of TVFanatic.com gave the episode a rating of 4 out of 5.
- Stinson, Barney (2010-10-18). "A Bro-Working Relationship". Retrieved 2010-12-03.
- Joel Keller (2010-10-19). "'How I Met Your Mother' Season 6, Episode 5 Recap". TV Squad.
- Donna Bowman (October 18, 2010). "How I Met Your Mother "Architect of Destruction"". The A.V. Club. The Onion.
- Robert Canning (2010-10-19). "How I Met Your Mother: "Architect of Destruction" Review". IGN. News Corporation.
- DeAnn Welker (2010-10-20). "How I Met Your Mother: Is That a Snake in Your Pocket ... Or Just Your Small Penis?". Television Without Pity. NBC Universal. Archived from the original on 24 October 2010. Retrieved 2010-12-03.
- Chris O'Hara (2010-10-19). "How I Met Your Mother Review: "Architect of Destruction"". TV Fanatic. Archived from the original on 22 October 2010. Retrieved 2010-12-03.