T. N. Gill, 1877
Archocentrus is a genus of cichlid fishes from Central America. It formerly included 7 of the species now included in the genus Cryptoheros, as well as the convict cichlid, now included in the genus Amatitlania. The Rainbow Cichlid, Archocentrus multispinosus, was temporarily included in the genus Archocentrus but is now back in its original genus Herotilapia.
There are currently 2 recognized species in this genus:
- Archocentrus centrarchus (T. N. Gill, 1877) (Flier cichlid)
- Archocentrus spinosissimus (Vaillant & Pellegrin, 1902)
- "Convict and Jack Dempsey placed in new genera". Archived from the original on 2007-12-28.
- Froese, Rainer, and Daniel Pauly, eds. (2015). Species of Archocentrus in FishBase. April 2015 version.
- Schmitter-Soto, J. (2007). A systematic revision of the genus Archocentrus (Perciformes:Cichlidae), with a description of two new Genera and six new species (PDF). Zootaxa,. 1603. pp. 1–76.
- McMahan, C.D.; Matamoros, W.A.; Piller, K.R. & Chakrabarty, P. (2015). "Taxonomy and systematics of the herichthyins (Cichlidae: Tribe Heroini), with the description of eight new Middle American Genera" (PDF). Zootaxa. 3999 (2): 211–234. doi:10.11646/zootaxa.3999.2.3.
|This Cichlidae-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|