|Defunct||February 27, 2013|
Archstone was a real estate investment trust that invested in apartments. In 2007, the company was acquired by Tishman Speyer and Lehman Brothers and, in 2013, the company's assets were acquired by Equity Residential and AvalonBay Communities.
At the time of the liquidation of the company in 2013, it owned over 40,000 apartment units.
In 1998, Security Capital Pacific Trust and Security Capital Atlantic Inc. merged to form Archstone Communities. The merged company owned 304 properties and 90,166 apartments. Security Capital had been founded by William D. Sanders in 1990.
In 2001, the company acquired Charles E. Smith Residential Realty, the apartment company founded by Charles E. Smith and the largest real estate owner in the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area, in a $2.2 billion transaction.
In 2007, the company was acquired by Tishman Speyer and Lehman Brothers in a $22.2 billion transaction. At that time, the company owned interests in 359 apartment communities including 87,667 apartment units.
- "Security Capital to Merge 2 Apartment REITS". Bloomberg News. Los Angeles Times. April 3, 1998.
- "Two REITs, one brand". CNN Money. April 2, 1998.
- "William Sanders leads the field in anticipating real estate trends In 6 years, investor has amassed $5 billion property portfolio". Bloomberg News. Baltimore Sun. June 9, 1996.
- Smith, Ray A. (May 4, 2001). "Archstone Communities Agrees to Buy Charles E. Smith for $2.2 Billion in Stock". The Wall Street Journal.(subscription required)
- Trainor, Tim (May 4, 2001). "Archstone Buying Charles E. Smith Residential". CoStar Group.
- Spinner, Jackie (May 5, 2001). "Apartment Giants To Join Forces; Charles E. Smith Makes $3.5 Billion Deal" (PDF). The Washington Post.
- "Archstone-Smith pays $1.1B for Oakwood Worldwide apt. sites". American City Business Journals. August 1, 2005.
- "Archstone-Smith to Buy Oakwood Units". Los Angeles Times. March 2, 2005.
- "Partnership of Tishman Speyer and Lehman Brothers Completes Acquisition of Archstone-Smith Trust" (Press release). Business Wire. October 5, 2007.
- "Archstone Acquires 224-unit Apartment Community in Marina del Rey" (Press release). Business Wire. August 9, 2011.
- "Archstone acquires 192-unit Sunnyvale complex". American City Business Journals. February 22, 2012.
- Denison, D.C. (August 15, 2012). "Archstone-sponsored partnership acquires 285-unit community in Dedham". The Boston Globe.
- "Equity Residential Announces Closing of $9 Billion Archstone Acquisition" (Press release). Business Wire. February 27, 2013.
- "AvalonBay Completes Archstone Acquisition" (Press release). Business Wire. February 27, 2013.