Archy Kirkwood, Baron Kirkwood of Kirkhope
|The Right Honourable
The Lord Kirkwood of Kirkhope
|Chief Whip of the Liberal Democrats|
9 April 1992 – 1 May 1997
|Preceded by||Jim Wallace|
|Succeeded by||Paul Tyler|
|Member of Parliament
for Roxburgh and Berwickshire
10 June 1983 – 11 April 2005
|Preceded by||Constituency Established|
|Succeeded by||Constituency Abolished|
|Born||22 April 1946|
|Political party||Liberal Democrat|
|Alma mater||Heriot-Watt University|
In 1986 he with two other MPs Simon Hughes MP and Michael Meadowcroft MP and the National League of Young Liberals and other parts of the party produced the booklet Across the Divide Liberal Values on Defence and Disarmament. This was the rally call that defeated the party leadership in the debate over the issue of an independent nuclear deterrent.
A Chair of the Parliamentary Select Committee on Work and Pensions, Lord Kirkwood of Kirkhope, is listed in the House of Lords Register of Interests (Session 2006-2007) as the Chairman of the Unum Customer Advisory Panel for which he received payment from Unum. He received additional payments for other work for Unum.
Lord Kirkwood visited the USA for two conferences on welfare to work (29 October - 5 November 2005). The accommodation was paid for by the Rockefeller Foundation (New York), the Brico Fund (Milwaukee) and the Association for Public Policy Analysis and Management.
In May 2006, Unum (then UnumProvident) provided a memorandum to the Parliamentary Select Committee on Work and Pensions which included in clause 24. "At UnumProvident we have a non-medical, enabling model of rehabilitation and we are working with our partners at the UnumProvident Centre for Psychosocial and Disability Research at Cardiff University to better understand what places people at risk of long-term or chronic illness." 
He married Rosemary Chester on 30 December 1972. They have a son and daughter.
- "site of Cranhill school - Wikimapia". wikimapia.org.
- Commons, The Committee Office, House of. "House of Commons - Work and Pensions - Written Evidence". www.publications.parliament.uk.
- "No. 56797". The London Gazette (Supplement). 31 December 2002. p. 1.
- "BBC NEWS - In Depth - 2003 - New Year Honours - Knights bachelor - full list". news.bbc.co.uk.
- "No. 57030". The London Gazette. 15 August 2003. p. 10218.
- "No. 57675". The London Gazette. 15 June 2005. p. 7779.
- Lord Kirkwood of Kirkhope profile at the site of Liberal Democrats
- Guardian Politics Ask Aristotle - Archy Kirkwood
- TheyWorkForYou.com - Archy Kirkwood
- The Public Whip - Archy Kirkwood voting record
- BBC News - Archy Kirkwood profile 10 February 2005
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
|New constituency||Member of Parliament for Roxburgh and Berwickshire
(see Berwickshire, Roxburgh and Selkirk)
|Party political offices|
|Chief Whip of the Liberal Democrats