Ardaas Karaan (film)
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Gippy Grewal|
|Produced by||Gippy Grewal|
|Screenplay by||Gippy Grewal|
|Story by||Gippy Grewal|
|Music by||Jatinder Shah|
|Cinematography||Baljit Singh Deo|
|Edited by||Baljit Singh Deo|
Humble Motion Pictures
|Distributed by||Omjee Group|
|Box office||₹36.41 crore|
Ardaas Karaan is a 2019 Indian Punjabi-language social drama film directed by Gippy Grewal from a screenplay co-written with Rana Ranbir. It is sequel to Ardaas and the second installment in Ardaas series. Produced by Humble Motion Pictures; it stars Gurpreet Ghuggi, Gippy Grewal, Japji Khaira, Meher Vij, and Yograj Singh. The story of the film explores the generation gap and different conflicting opinion about life. The principal photography of the film began on 12 January 2019 in Surrey, British Columbia, and it was theatrically released on 19 July 2019. As of 7 August 2019, it has grossed ₹27.50 crore globally.
- Gurpreet Ghuggi
- Gippy Grewal
- Japji Khaira
- Meher Vij
- Sapna Pabbi
- Rana Ranbir
- Yograj Singh
- Sardar Sohi
- Rana Jung Bahadur
- Kuljinder Singh Sidhu
- Malkeet Rauni
|1.||"Satgur Pyare"||Happy Raikoti||Jatinder Shah||Sunidhi Chauhan & Devenderpal Singh||2:56|
|2.||"Tere Rang Niyare"||Happy Raikoti||Jatinder Shah||Nachhatar Gill||3:19|
|3.||"Bachpan"||Rana Ranbir||Jatinder Shah||Gippy Grewal||2:42|
|4.||"Zindagi"||Ricky Khan||Jatinder Shah||Sharry Mann||2:51|
|5.||"Ardaas Karaan (Male Version)"||Happy Raikoti||Jatinder Shah||Happy Raikoti||6:22|
|6.||"Ardaas Karaan (Female Version)"||Happy Raikoti||Jatinder Shah||Sunidhi Chauhan||5:06|
|7.||"Bomb Jigre"||Happy Raikoti||Jatinder Shah||Ranjit Bawa||2:53|
|8.||"Bandeya"||Ricky Khan||Jatinder Shah||Devenderpal Singh||3:28|
Ardaas Karaan was announced by Gippy Grewal in September 2018 as Ardaas 2. In an interview Grewal disclosed the film was earlier titled as Zindabad Yaarian. Auditions for the film were held on early December 2018 whereas principal photography of the film began on 12 January 2019 in Surrey, British Columbia where Baljit Singh Deo served as cinematographer. The film was edited by Baljit Singh Deo and its final cut ran for a total of 140 minutes and 8 seconds.
Cast and characters
Yograj Singh in a candid conversation with ETimes said, “The part that Malkeet Rauni is playing the movie, (grandfather to Shinda, and an elderly who is very disappointed by the way he is treated by his kids), was written keeping me in mind only. It was sketched for me initially. However, I got busy with some other work and couldn’t make it, and then it was passed on to Malkeet Rauni”. Gurpreet Ghuggi’s character wasn’t revealed in trailers of the film, Ghuggi described his character as “Magic Singh” and added “[...] if would have been revealed earlier, it would have made things and the movie very clear and predictable. The Chapters (trailers) that we brought forward, only showed certain situations, if the veil would have been taken off from my character, then everything would have been revealed.” Babbal Rai’s character is set in the bygone era and he will be seen in a shade different from his earlier performances, also he called himself as “director’s actor”. Seerat Rana made debut with the film. Gippy Grewal’s younger son Shinda aka Gurfateh Singh also made his debut with the film. Grewal in an interview disclosed that Shinda also gave proper audition for his part in the movie.
Marketing and release
The first look poster of the film was released on 27 May 2019. The poster presents pictures of the cast and release date. Later the official teaser of the film was released on the same day by Saga Music.
The film was released theatrically in India on 19 July 2019.
The Telegraph Star rated the film 3/5 stars and stated that it was 'wonderfully written', praised the performances of all the actors, and found the music and cinematography as 'top-notch'. In their opinion it was a perfect family entertainer. Manpriya Singh of The Tribune gave 3/5 stars, felt that the film weaved a 'humorous and philosophical narrative'. Singh praised the cinematography of Baljeet Singh Deo, but criticised the slowness of pace of the film. Singh opined, "...the dialogues are repetitively philosophical, circulating around life, love and the like, and only if the humour was used more than heavy-duty philosophical dialogues."
Till its second weekend, the film has collected ₹ 6.09 crore in Canada and ₹ 2.27 crore in the United States, whereas in Australasia, it grossed ₹ 3.11 crore in Australia and ₹ 89 lakhs in New Zealand. In Europe, the film managed ₹ 1.05 crore in United Kingdom and ₹ 7.29 lakhs in Germany. In Malaysia, it collected ₹ 8.37 lakhs.
- "Ardaas Karaan". Metacritic. Retrieved 2019-04-25.
- "Punjabi Films Dominate Overseas - Shadaa Ardaas Karaan Chal Mera Putt". boxofficeindia.com. Retrieved 7 August 2019.
- "Watch: Here comes another fun video from the sets of 'Ardaas 2' - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 2019-04-25.
- "Ardaas 2: The shoot of the Gippy Grewal directorial goes on the floor - Pollywood sequels and threequels to look forward to". The Times of India. Retrieved 2019-04-25.
- "Gippy Grewal announces directorial venture 'Ardaas 2'". gulfnews.com. Retrieved 2019-04-25.
- IANS (2018-09-30). "Gippy Grewal announces next directorial venture 'Ardaas 2'". Business Standard India. Retrieved 2019-04-25.
- "Ardaas Karaan: Gippy Grewal shares the new poster and revised title of 'Ardaas' sequel - Pollywood sequels and threequels to look forward to". The Times of India. Retrieved 2019-05-08.
- GhaintPunjab (2019-04-13), Gippy Grewal | Full Interview | Manje Bistre 2 | GhaintPunjab, retrieved 2019-04-26
- "ARDAAS KARAAN | British Board of Film Classification". bbfc.co.uk. Retrieved 2019-07-20.
- "Did you know the role that Malkeet Rauni is doing in 'Ardaas Karaan' was initially written for Yograj Singh? - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 2019-07-20.
- "Ardaas Karaan: Here's why Gurpreet Ghuggi's character wasn't revealed in the trailers - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 2019-07-20.
- "'Ardaas Karaan' BTS video: Babbal Rai says he is a director's actor - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 2019-07-20.
- "Marking her debut with 'Ardaas Karaan', Seerat Rana finds it a blessing to learn from Gippy Grewal - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 2019-07-20.
- "The BTS video of Shinda's making as Jhanda Singh in 'Ardaas Karaan' speaks for the kid's innocence, talent and sincerity - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 2019-07-20.
- Taran Adarsh [@taran_adarsh] (27 May 2019). "Gippy Grewal, Gurpreet Ghuggi and Meher Vij... First look poster of #Punjabi film #ArdaasKaraan... Teaser out today at 6 pm... Produced-directed by Gippy Grewal... 19 July 2019 release. t.co/9MAHdqRg5I" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- "Ardaas Karaan (Teaser) | Gippy Grewal | Punjabi Movie 2019 | Humble Motion | Saga Music | 19 July". YouTube. Saga Music. 27 May 2019.
- "Ardaas 2: The release date of Gippy Grewal's directorial is out". The Times of India. Retrieved 2019-04-25.
- "Ardaas Karaan Movie Review And Rating - Gurpreet Ghuggi, Gippy Grewal". Telegraph Star. 19 July 2019.
- "Ardaas Karaan weaves in a narrative high on humour and philosophy". The Tribune. 19 July 2019.
- "Judgemental Hai Kya collects approx. 650k USD [Rs. 4.5 cr.] in overseas - Bollywood Hungama". Bollywood Hungama. 29 July 2019. Retrieved 29 July 2019.