|• Total||75,271 |
|Time zone||UTC+3:30 (IRST)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+4:30 (IRDT)|
The word Ardakan in Persian means "holy place" or "clean place" (Modern Persian: arda+kan / Middle Persian: arta+gan) and the city has many historical religious attractions such as the Grand Mosque of Ardakan (Masjed-e Jame’), Zire-deh Mosque, Emam-Zadeh Mir Seyyed Mohammad and Tekyeh bazaar.
This region is one of the Zoroastrian centres of Iran, and there are numerous holy sites for Zoroastrians in Sharif-Abad, a village near Ardakan. Each summer thousands of Zoroastrians from around the world gather there for pilgrimage.
Ardakan is the birthplace of former Iranian president, Mohammad Khatami. It is also a famous type of carpet found around the world.
Districts include Zeyn Aldin, Koshkeno, Bazarno, and Janat Abad.
- Ardakan can be found at GEOnet Names Server, at this link, by opening the Advanced Search box, entering "-3053575" in the "Unique Feature Id" form, and clicking on "Search Database".
- "Census of the Islamic Republic of Iran, 1385 (2006)". Islamic Republic of Iran. Archived from the original (Excel) on 11 November 2011.
- Dormohamadi, Mansoure (24 July 2020). "Typology of Historical Houses in Muzaffarid Era: Case Study of Ardakan City, Yazd, Iran". The International Archives of the Photogrammetry, Remote Sensing and Spatial Information Sciences. Valencia, Spain. XLIV-M-1-2020: 945–952.
- Farshid Sāmāni, Ardakān, In a Thoughtful Mood (Ardakān, Sar dar Garibān), in Persian, Jadid Online, 16 April 2010.
- Audio slideshow (5 min 31 sec)