Arden railway station, Melbourne
|Commuter rail station|
|Other names||North Melbourne (proposed name)|
|Location||Laurens Street, North Melbourne
|Train operators||Metro Trains|
Arden railway station (to be known as North Melbourne railway station upon completion) is a planned station to be built as part of the Melbourne Metro Rail Project. It will be built in North Melbourne below Laurens and Arden Streets. The station will be built using the cut-and-cover method. Construction is scheduled to commence in 2018. It will be served by the Sunbury, Pakenham and Cranbourne lines. The station will be named North Melbourne when it becomes operational, with the existing North Melbourne railway station to be renamed as West Melbourne.
Arden Street was chosen as the site for a new railway station to support the expansion of the central city and provide a focus for the development of a new commercial, residential and activity centre in North Melbourne.
The Government of Victoria has committed that Arden station will support job creation by improving public transport access to inner-west Melbourne, an area which has been earmarked for urban renewal. Fifty-six hectares of land around the proposed Arden station, much of which is owned by the State Government, is earmarked for revitalisation as part of the project and will be serviced by the new station. The new suburb is expected to house around 15,000 people and 34,000 jobs.
- "Dozens of homes to make way for Melbourne Metro project". ABC News. 20 October 2015. Archived from the original on 19 January 2017. Retrieved 21 June 2017.
- Carey, Adam (5 November 2015). "Melbourne Metro to close busy city streets for up to three years, including Domain Road". The Age. Archived from the original on 13 March 2017. Retrieved 21 June 2017.
- "Arden Station construction plans". Metro Tunnel. Melbourne Metro Rail Authority. Archived from the original on 21 June 2017. Retrieved 21 June 2017.
- Oaten, James (29 November 2017). "Meet me at Anzac: No 'Station McStation face' for Melbourne's new train stations". ABC News. Retrieved 26 December 2017.
- "Renewing Arden Macaulay". Participate Melbourne. City of Melbourne. Archived from the original on 21 June 2017. Retrieved 21 June 2017.
- Lucas, Clay; Preiss, Benjamin (1 September 2016). "Metro Tunnel to help revitalise huge chunk of North Melbourne's 'Arden' precinct". The Age. Archived from the original on 11 November 2016. Retrieved 11 January 2017.
- "Plans for new suburb in Melbourne's inner north unveiled". ABC News. 1 September 2016. Archived from the original on 5 May 2017. Retrieved 11 January 2017.