Ardyaloon, Western Australia
|Population||365 (2016 census)|
|Time zone||AWST (UTC+8)|
|LGA(s)||Shire of Broome|
Ardyaloon or One Arm Point, also known as Bardi, is an Aboriginal Australian community town on the Dampier Peninsula, in the Kimberley region of Western Australia. It is located 2,446 km (1,520 mi) north of Perth and the closest populated town is Derby. At the 2016 census, Bardi had a population of 365.
According to the local Indigenous people, the name "One Arm Point" originated from the tale of an unfortunate pearler who had an accident with dynamite while attempting to catch fish using explosives in the bay.
The community is located within the Bardi Jawi native title determination area, determined by the Federal Court of Australia on 30 November 2005. (Federal Court file nos. WAD49/1998, WAD6001/2004) It is managed through its incorporated body, Ardyaloon Incorporated, registered under the Associations Incorporations Act 1987 and the Aboriginal Communities Act 1979.
The town plan follows the Ardyaloon Community Layout Plan No.2 has been prepared in accordance with State Planning Strategy 3.2 Aboriginal Settlements. Layout Plan No.2 was endorsed by the community on 15 September 2004 and the Western Australia Planning Commission on 15 February 2005, with various amendments up until 2017.
Ardyaloon Layout Plan No.2 was prepared in accordance with State Planning Policy 3.2 and was endorsed by the community in 2004 and the WAPC in 2005.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (27 June 2017). "Bardi (One Arm Point) (Locality)". 2016 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 25 April 2019.
- "Great Circle Distance between BARDI+COMMUNITY and PERTH". Cocky Flies. Geoscience Australia. Retrieved 25 April 2019.
- "Main Roads WA - Distance from Perth". 2009. Retrieved 19 March 2009.
- "Kimberley Economic Perspective" (PDF). 2005. Archived from the original (PDF) on 6 July 2011. Retrieved 12 May 2014.
- "Ausanthrop Aboriginal tribal database - Baada People". 2009. Archived from the original on 17 August 2010. Retrieved 19 March 2009.
- "Aboriginal Communities Act 1979". West Australian Legislation. Government of Western Australia. Dept of Justice. Parliamentary Counsel's Office. Retrieved 8 December 2019.
- "Background Report; February 2005". 31 October 2017. Retrieved 8 December 2019.
- "Ardyaloon Community Layout plan No. 2: - Living Area Amendment 11". 31 October 2017. Retrieved 8 December 2019.
- Western Australian Planning Commission. "Ardyaloon (Bardi or One Arm Point)".