Are You Lost?
|Are You Lost?|
(Sōnan desu ka?)
|Written by||Kentarō Okamoto|
|Illustrated by||Riri Sagara|
|Magazine||Weekly Young Magazine|
|Original run||January 7, 2017 – February 14, 2022|
|Anime television series|
|Directed by||Nobuyoshi Nagayama|
|Written by||Touko Machida|
|Music by||Akiyuki Tateyama|
|Original network||Tokyo MX, MBS, BS-NTV|
|Original run||July 2, 2019 – September 17, 2019|
Are You Lost? (ソウナンですか？, Sōnan desu ka?, "Are We Shipwrecked?"[a]) is a Japanese manga series, written by Kentarō Okamoto and illustrated by Riri Sagara. It has been serialized since January 2017 in Kodansha's seinen manga magazine Weekly Young Magazine and has been collected in nine tankōbon volumes. The manga is published digitally in North America by Kodansha USA. An anime television series adaptation by Ezo'la aired in Japan from July to September 2019.
When their plane crashes during a school trip, four high school girls, Homare, Asuka, Mutsu, and Shion, find themselves stranded on a remote island. Using the survival skills she picked up from her father, Homare helps the others to survive island life as they try to make the best of their situation.
- Homare Onishima (鬼島 ほまれ, Onishima Homare)
- Voiced by: M.A.O
- A solemn school girl. Having had survival training with her father as a child, she has a bevy of knowledge on how to survive in critical conditions. As a result, Homare takes the role as the leader among the girls and teaches them how to survive on the island.
- Asuka Suzumori (鈴森 明日香, Suzumori Asuka)
- Voiced by: Hiyori Kono
- A cheery and athletic girl who is a member of the basketball and track clubs. As the most physically fit among the girls, Asuka often accompanies Homare when they hunt or fish for food.
- Mutsu Amatani (天谷 睦, Amatani Mutsu)
- Voiced by: Kiyono Yasuno
- A shy and intelligent girl who enjoys reading light novels and wants to become a yaoi writer in the future. As noted by Homare, Mutsu's intelligence and adaptability makes her most suited to survive in the wilderness. She takes the role as the cook among the girls.
- Shion Kujō (九条 紫音, Kujō Shion)
- Voiced by: Azumi Waki
- A rich, spoiled girl. Shion is the most dexterous among the girls and is skilled with crafts. Many of the girls' actions are inspired by her childish demands. She has a dog at home named Arnold and also plays the piano.
- Jōichi Onishima (鬼島 丈一, Onishima Jōichi)
- Voiced by: Akio Ōtsuka
- Homare's father, who taught her everything she knows about survival. He seeks out to rescue Homare and her friends after hearing of the plane crash.
- Rui Torii (鳥居 累, Torii Rui)
- Sōji Hattori (服部 宗二, Hattori Sōji)
- Homare's mother (ほまれの母, Homare no haha)
Are You Lost?, written by Kentarō Okamoto and illustrated by Riri Sagara, began serialization in Kodansha's Weekly Young Magazine on January 7, 2017. Kodansha has compiled its chapters into individual tankōbon volumes. The first volume was published on August 4, 2017. As of October 6, 2021, nine volumes have been released. The series will end serialization on February 14, 2022.
|No.||Original release date||Original ISBN||English release date||English ISBN|
|1||August 4, 2017||978-4-06-510070-7||October 2, 2018||978-1-64-212491-0|
|2||March 6, 2018||978-4-06-510862-8||November 20, 2018||978-1-64-212492-7|
|3||October 5, 2018||978-4-06-513151-0||December 4, 2018||978-1-64-212493-4|
|4||March 6, 2019||978-4-06-514802-0||June 18, 2019||978-1-64-212914-4|
|5||September 6, 2019||978-4-06-516984-1 |
|December 17, 2019||978-1-64-659168-8|
|6||April 6, 2020||978-4-06-519187-3||August 4, 2020||978-1-64-659626-3|
|7||October 6, 2020||978-4-06-521002-4||August 10, 2021||978-1-63-699297-6|
|8||April 6, 2021||978-4-06-522938-5||December 14, 2021||978-1-63-699514-4|
|9||October 6, 2021||978-4-06-525088-4||February 8, 2022||978-1-63-699609-7|
Chapters not yet in tankōbon format
- for you I
- for you II
- Mujintō Jurietto (無人島ジュリエット)
- Futsū no mesukōsei ni naritai (普通の女子高生になりたい)
- Homare fuku o kau (ほまれ服を買う)
- Gakkō no seitaikei (学校の生態系)
- Gakkō seikatsu mo raku janai (学校生活も楽じゃない)
- Ano toki nani ga atta no ka? (あの時何があったのか？)
- Kawarazu kusatte (変わらず腐って)
An anime television series adaptation was announced in the 14th issue of Weekly Young Magazine on March 4, 2019. The series was produced by Ezo'la and directed by Nobuyoshi Nagayama, with Touko Machida handling series composition, and Junnosuke Nishio designing the characters. Akiyuki Tateyama composed the music. The series aired in Japan from July 2 to September 17, 2019 on Tokyo MX, MBS, and BS-NTV, and was simulcast by Crunchyroll. The series consists of 15-minute episodes. M.A.O, Hiyori Kono, Kiyono Yasuno, and Azumi Waki performed the series' opening theme song "Koko wa Doko" (ココハドコ, "Where Are We?"), while Yasuno performed the series' ending theme song "Ikiru" (生きる, "Survive").
|No.||Title [b]||Original air date |
Transcription: "Hyōryū" (Japanese: 漂流)
|July 2, 2019|
|After miraculously surviving a plane crash, four high school girls, Homare Onishima, Asuka Suzumori, Mutsu Amatani, and Shion Kujō, head towards a remote island for safety. Using the survival skills she picked up from her father, Homare helps Mutsu tackle dehydration by feeding her a locust with her mouth.|
|2||"Our First Meal"|
Transcription: "Hajimete no Shokuju" (Japanese: 初めての食事)
|July 9, 2019|
|Homare and Asuka search the island for a source of water, managing to find some damp soil to tide them over until rain starts falling. Later, Homare gathers a bunch of dubious foodstuffs that the girls compete over.|
|3||"Master of the Island"|
Transcription: "Shima no Nushi" (Japanese: 島のヌシ)
|July 16, 2019|
|As Asuka struggles to prove herself useful to the others, Homare creates a makeshift shower which Shion ends up enjoying. Later, Mutsu helps Homare search the shore for edible shellfish before the gang learn how to start a fire to cook them.|
Transcription: "Torappu" (Japanese: トラップ)
|July 23, 2019|
|Homare, Asuka, and Mutsu work on building snare traps to help them catch a rabbit.|
|5||"A Strange Turban Shell"|
Transcription: "Kimyō na Sazae" (Japanese: 奇妙なサザエ)
|July 30, 2019|
|Needing food to stave them off until their trap catches something, Homare and Asuka dive underwater to search for turban shells, but end up picking up edible starfish instead. When Shion becomes downhearted after she thought she saw a ship, Homare asks her to help her dig up buried fish for a barbecue party to cheer everyone up. Later, Asuka and Mutsu discover that their trap has caught something.|
Transcription: "Usagi Jisshoku" (Japanese: ウサギ実食)
|August 6, 2019|
|Catching a live rabbit, which Asuka reluctantly manages to kill, Mutsu, who was unable to kill it herself, is taught how to break down the carcass. After preparing the meat, the girls manage to make an island take on the French cuisine Shion once had.|
|7||"Exploring the Island"|
Transcription: "Shima wo Tansaku" (Japanese: 島を探索)
|August 13, 2019|
|Homare decides to take Mutsu with her to explore the island, coming across a dock along the way, but the others end up camping with them for the night. The next day, as the girls find some tools in a broken down house, Homare discovers what appears to be smoke coming from somewhere.|
Transcription: "Oashisu Hakken!?" (Japanese: オアシス発見!?)
|August 20, 2019|
|The smoke turns out to be steam from a hot spring, which the girls immediately decide to soak in. The next day, Homare asks the others to help her retrieve some rope from the bottom of a ravine. When a thunderstorm appears, the girls take measures to protect themselves from the lightning.|
Transcription: "Homare no Papa" (Japanese: ほまれのパパ)
|August 27, 2019|
|Worried about UV rays, the girls try various sunblock alternatives made from squid ink, liver, and seaweed. Later, Homare tries to use more advice she learned from her father, with varying success among the other girls.|
|10||"Honey Bee"||September 3, 2019|
|After using some washed up bamboo to build a roof, the girls discover a beehive nearby. Despite the excessive amount of bees, Homare puts herself at risk to retrieve some honeycomb to extract honey from. On another day, Shion tries to prove her worth by fishing on a raft, unknowingly catching a current and drifting off far away from the island.|
|11||"We Will Rescue Her"|
Transcription: "Zettai Tasukeru" (Japanese: 絶対助ける)
|September 10, 2019|
|Homare sets off on a raft to search for Shion, who at the moment lands on a rocky island and tries to search for any sign of drinkable water. Using her father's advice to expand her view, Homare manages to find the island with Shion on it.|
|12||"How to Replenish Water"|
Transcription: "Mizu no Hokyū Hōhō" (Japanese: 水の補給方法)
|September 17, 2019|
|As Homare and Shion start to suffer from dehydration on their way back to the island, they are forced to take drastic measures in order to replenish their moisture. As the girls reunite and continue their life surviving in the island, Homare's father Jōichi begins searching for her.|
Gadget Tsūshin listed the anime's Japanese name in their 2019 anime buzzwords list.
- A play on the phrase sō nan desu ka? (そうなんですか？, "Is that so?")
- All English titles are taken from Crunchyroll.
- Pineda, Rafael Antonio (March 1, 2019). "Are You Lost? Survival Manga Listed With Anime". Anime News Network. Retrieved March 3, 2019.
- Pineda, Rafael Antonio (March 3, 2019). "Are You Lost? Anime's Promo Unveils Cast, Staff, July TV Airing". Anime News Network. Retrieved March 3, 2019.
- Pineda, Rafael Antonio (June 2, 2019). "'Are You Lost?' Anime's New Video Unveils More Cast & Staff, Theme Songs". Anime News Network. Retrieved June 2, 2019.
- 「山賊ダイアリー」の岡本健太郎が初原作！少女たちの遭難もの、ヤンマガで. Natalie (in Japanese). January 7, 2017. Retrieved June 21, 2020.
- "ソウナンですか？（１）" (in Japanese). Kodansha. Retrieved March 4, 2019.
- "ソウナンですか？（9）" (in Japanese). Kodansha. Retrieved September 1, 2021.
- Mateo, Alex (January 24, 2022). "'Are You Lost?' Manga Ends in 3 Chapters". Anime News Network. Retrieved January 24, 2022.
- "Are You Lost?, Volume 1". Kodansha USA. Retrieved March 12, 2021.
- "ソウナンですか？（２）" (in Japanese). Kodansha. Retrieved March 4, 2019.
- "Are You Lost?, Volume 2". Kodansha USA. Retrieved March 12, 2021.
- "ソウナンですか？（３）" (in Japanese). Kodansha. Retrieved March 4, 2019.
- "Are You Lost?, Volume 3". Kodansha USA. Retrieved March 12, 2021.
- "ソウナンですか？（４）" (in Japanese). Kodansha. Retrieved March 4, 2019.
- "Are You Lost?, Volume 4". Kodansha USA. Retrieved March 12, 2021.
- "ソウナンですか？（５）" (in Japanese). Kodansha. Retrieved September 3, 2019.
- "ソウナンですか？（５） 特装版" (in Japanese). Kodansha. Retrieved April 7, 2020.
- "Are You Lost?, Volume 5". Kodansha USA. Retrieved March 12, 2021.
- "ソウナンですか？（6）" (in Japanese). Kodansha. Retrieved March 19, 2020.
- "Are You Lost?, Volume 6". Kodansha USA. Retrieved March 12, 2021.
- "ソウナンですか？（7）" (in Japanese). Kodansha. Retrieved September 24, 2020.
- "Are You Lost?, Volume 7". Kodansha USA. Retrieved June 25, 2021.
- "ソウナンですか？（8）" (in Japanese). Kodansha. Retrieved March 28, 2021.
- "Are You Lost?, Volume 8". Kodansha USA. Retrieved November 6, 2021.
- "Are You Lost?, Volume 9". Kodansha USA. Retrieved December 31, 2021.
- Sherman, Jennifer (May 17, 2019). "Crunchyroll Adds Are You Lost?, Magical Sempai, To the Abandoned Sacred Beasts Anime". Anime News Network. Retrieved May 18, 2019.
- Hodgkins, Crystalyn (June 2, 2019). "'Are You Lost?' Anime Shorts to Premiere on July 2". Anime News Network. Retrieved June 2, 2019.
- "ストーリー". sounandesuka.jp (in Japanese). Retrieved August 3, 2020.
- "ソウナンですか？". Tokyo MX (in Japanese). Retrieved June 21, 2020.
- Loveridge, Lynzee; Morrissy, Kim (December 4, 2019). "Demon Slayer, Dr. Stone, Zombie Land Saga Buzzwords Make Gadget Tsūshin 2019 List". Anime News Network. Retrieved December 14, 2019.