Are You Sure Hank Done It This Way
|"Are You Sure Hank Done It This Way"|
|Single by Waylon Jennings|
|from the album Dreaming My Dreams|
|B-side||"Bob Wills Is Still the King"|
|Waylon Jennings singles chronology|
"Are You Sure Hank Done It This Way" is a song written and performed by American country music artist Waylon Jennings. It was released in August 1975 as the first single from the album Dreaming My Dreams. The song was Waylon Jennings' fourth number one on the country chart as a solo artist. The single stayed at number one for one week and spent a total of sixteen weeks on the country chart.
The B-side to "Are You Sure ..." was "Bob Wills is Still the King," a tribute to the music of Wills. Although it never charted on its own, "Bob Wills ... " gained airplay and continues to be a staple at classic country radio stations.
"Are You Sure Hank Done It This Way" pays homage to the influence of Hank Williams Sr. in country music and criticizes the glitz that had come to characterize top-selling country artists in the 1970s, through references to "rhinestone suits" and "new shiny cars."
Country band Alabama covered the song in 2010 for the Waylon Jennings tribute album, The Music Inside: A Collaboration Dedicated to Waylon Jennings, Volume One, which was released on February 8, 2011. Alabama's version was released as a single on December 13, 2010 via The Valory Music Co.
Clint Black covered the song on his 1999 album D'lectrified, inserting Jennings' name in place of Williams'. Black's version adds an extended instrumental section, and features Jennings as a guest vocalist.
Robert Earl Keen contributed a cover of the song to Lonesome, On'ry and Mean: A Tribute to Waylon Jennings.
Jack Ingram performed a cover of the song on the 2003 album Live at Billy Bob's Texas.
In popular culture
The song was prominently featured in a Grand Theft Auto V trailer for the wild, hard-living main character, Trevor Philips. The song is also in the video game's soundtrack on the in-game radio station, Rebel Radio.
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||1|
|US Billboard Hot 100||60|
|Canadian RPM Country Tracks||21|
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||53|
- Whitburn, Joel (2004). The Billboard Book Of Top 40 Country Hits: 1944-2006, Second edition. Record Research. p. 174.
- Ronnie D. Lankford, Jr. "Are You Sure Hank Done It This Way - Waylon Jennings | Song Info". AllMusic. Retrieved 2016-10-10.
- Kanoniuk, Lachlan (21 October 2016). "Cakes, Brexit, and country music: We chat with Morrissey". FasterLouder magazine. Retrieved 25 October 2016.
- "GTA 5 - Trevor Trailer". YouTube. 2013-04-30. Retrieved 2016-10-10.
- "Waylon Jennings – Chart history" Billboard Hot Country Songs for Waylon Jennings.
- "Waylon Jennings – Chart history" Billboard Hot 100 for Waylon Jennings.
- "Alabama – Chart history" Billboard Hot Country Songs for Alabama.
"I'm Sorry" by John Denver
|Billboard Hot Country Singles number-one single
November 15, 1975
"Rocky" by Dickey Lee