Area and population of European countries
This article does not cite any sources. (August 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Some of the countries listed below are transcontinental, meaning that they are only partially located in Europe:
- The list includes all of Russia, as European Russia contains about 77% of the country's total population (110,000,000 people out of about 143,000,000) in an area comprising roughly 3,960,000 square kilometres (1,528,560 sq mi); an average of 27 persons per km2 (69.9 /sq mi).
- Only European France is included, not its overseas departments.
- The data for Spain includes islands and exclaves on or near the African continent.
- The data for Portugal includes the Madeira Islands.
- The data for Netherlands includes European Netherlands and the Caribbean Netherlands. It does not include the Caribbean islands Aruba, Curaçao and Sint Maarten as they are constituent countries within the Kingdom of the Netherlands.
Serbia and Montenegro are listed as separate countries, although at the time of the estimates they were also considered as one country. There is some discussion about whether Kosovo should be recognised as a separate country. De facto it can be considered as one, but de jure recognition is not clear-cut.
Unlike the figures in the country articles, the figures in this table are based on areas including inland water bodies (lakes, reservoirs, rivers) and therefore the population densities stated here may be lower.
The aggregate for Europe excluding Russia, Azerbaijan and Georgia, the population density is 105 persons per km2 (including them it is 31, mostly due to the Russian Federation's vastness).
Countries and dependencies
|Isle of Man||129||572||73,873|
|France (European part)||119||543,941||64,860,000|
|Turkey (European part)||447||23,764||11,241,000|
|Bosnia and Herzegovina||78||51,129||3,964,388|
|Faroe Islands (Denmark)||33||1,399||46,011|
|Russia (European part)||28||4,000,000||110,000,000|
Partially recognised states
|Partially recognised state||Population Density
- European Union statistics
- List of countries by population density
- List of European countries by population