Area code 205
The numbering plan area was created in 1947 to cover the entire state of Alabama. By the 1990s, Alabama needed additional telephone numbers. In addition to the state's rapid growth, the state was running out of numbers due to the proliferation of cell phones and pagers. The supply of numbers was limited because the state is part of several LATAs that spill into neighboring states, but most of eastern Alabama is part of the Atlanta LATA.
Finally, in 1995, the southern half of the state, everything from Montgomery southward, was split off with area code 334. It was reduced in size in 1998, when the northern and eastern portions were assigned area code 256.
Area code 659 is scheduled to provide numbering relief for the 205 number plan area, but no implementation date has been announced.
Counties located in area code 205
- Bibb (most; part of Bibb County is in area code 334)
- Chilton (most; part of Chilton County is in area code 334)
- Etowah (part; most of Etowah County is in area code 256 and area code 938)
- Franklin (part; most of Franklin County is in area code 256/area code 938)
- St. Clair
Cities located in area code 205
- Lowry, Bob (March 4, 2009). "Flex your fingers for 10-digit dialing in 2010". The Huntsville Times.
|Alabama area codes: 205, 251, 256, 334, 938|
|West: 601/769, 662||area code 205||East: 256/938|
|South: 251, 334|
|Mississippi area codes: 228, 601, 662, 769|
|This article related to a telephone area code is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Alabama-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|