Area code 209
Area code 209 is a telephone area code in the North American Numbering Plan (NANP) for the U.S. state of California. Its service area includes Stockton, Modesto, Turlock, Merced, Winton, Atwater, Livingston, Manteca, Ripon, Tracy, Lodi, Galt, Sonora, Los Banos, San Andreas, Mariposa, and Yosemite, the northern San Joaquin Valley (part of the Central Valley), and the Sierra Foothills.
The southern half of the original numbering plan area was split off and integrated into area code 559 on November 14, 1998.
On October 24, 2021, area code 209 was transitioned to ten-digit dialing, despite not being part of an overlay numbering plan, in which multiple area codes are assigned to a numbering plan area. The area code had telephone numbers assigned for the central office code 988. In 2020, 988 was designated nationwide as a dialing code for the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline, which created a conflict for exchanges that still permitted seven-digit dialing.
- Alpine, Amador, Calaveras, El Dorado, Mariposa, Merced, Sacramento, San Joaquin, Stanislaus, Tuolumne
- Towns and cities
- Acampo, Big Oak Flat, Burson, Ceres, Chinese Camp, Coarsegold, Clements, Columbia, Crows Landing, Dardanelle, Delhi, Denair, El Portal, Empire, Escalon, Farmington, French Camp, Galt, Groveland, Hathaway Pines, Herald, Hickman, Hilmar, Holt, Hornitos, Hughson, Jamestown, Keyes, Kit Carson, La Grange, Lathrop, Le Grand, Linden, Lockeford, Lodi, Long Barn, Manteca, Mi Wuk Village, Midpines, Moccasin, Modesto, Mount Aukum, Mountain House, Newman, Oakdale, Patterson, Pinecrest, Planada, Ripon, River Pines, Riverbank, Salida, Santa Rita Park, Sheep Ranch, Sonora, Soulsbyville, Standard, Stevinson, Stockton, Thornton, Tracy, Tuolumne, Turlock, Twain Harte, Vernalis, Victor, Waterford, Westley, Wilseyville, Woodbridge, and Yosemite National Park
- Angels Camp
- Campo Seco
- Cave City
- Douglas Flat
- Forest Meadows
- Fourth Crossing
- Jenny Lind
- Jesus Maria
- Mokelumne Hill
- Mountain Ranch
- Rail Road Flat
- Rancho Calaveras
- San Andreas
- Sandy Gulch
- Valley Springs
- West Point
- List of California area codes
- MedicAlert has issued many medical identification tags that tell emergency responders around the world to collect-call its headquarters in Turlock, using a 209 phone number.
- https://nationalnanpa.com/reports/Changes_from_Oct2020_%20NRUF_Forecast.pdf[bare URL PDF]
- "350: The new area code you'll be seeing in the 209 area". 20 May 2022.
- "Transition to 10-digit dialing (for 988 as 3-digit access to National Suicide Prevention Hotline)" (PDF). North American Numbering Plan Administrator. January 8, 2021. Retrieved March 9, 2021.
|North: 530, 916/279|
|West: 408/669, 279/916, 925||area code 209||East: 442/760|
|South: 559, 831|