Area codes 718, 347, and 929
North American area codes 718, 347, and 929 are New York City telephone area codes in the boroughs of The Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens, and Staten Island, as well as the Marble Hill section of Manhattan. They are overlaid by area code 917, which covers the entirety of New York City.
On February 1, 1984, in response to a request from New York Telephone, the New York Public Service Commission voted to create a new area code to serve Brooklyn, Queens, and Staten Island. Previously, all of New York City had been served by area code 212 for 37 years. Despite protests from some local officials and state lawmakers, the commission was persuaded by New York Telephone's reasoning that a new area code was needed to "prevent an impending exhaustion of telephone numbers."
Despite lawmakers from the outer boroughs threatening legislation to stop the split, area code 718 entered service on September 1, 1984. The split was implemented in a way so that the city's then-three million numbers were split roughly in half. Permissive dialing of 212 continued across New York City until January 1, 1985.
In July 1, 1992, the borough of The Bronx and the Manhattan neighborhood of Marble Hill were moved from 212 to 718. A permissive dialing period when either the 212 or 718 area codes could be used in The Bronx lasted until May 16, 1993.
On October 1, 1999, area code 347 was added as an overlay to area code 718.
On December 16, 2009, the New York Public Service Commission approved an additional overlay of the 718/347 area code region. On January 22, 2010, NeuStar-NANPA issued a press release (through PR-NewsWire) that 929 is to be the new area code to further overlay the New York City 718 and 347 area codes of boroughs outside Manhattan. Area code 929 went into effect on April 16, 2011.
Area code 917 overlays area codes 718, 347, and 929, as well as area codes 212, 646 and 332 in Manhattan.
Marble Hill used to be attached to Manhattan Island. After the Harlem River Ship Canal was built in 1895, Marble Hill was physically separated from Manhattan Island. Soon after, the Spuyten Duyvil Creek was filled in with landfill, physically connecting Marble Hill to the Bronx. The Greater New York Charter of 1897 officially stated that Marble Hill is part of the borough of Manhattan.
When the Bronx's area code was about to be changed from 212 to 718 in 1992, Marble Hill residents fought to stay in 212, but lost. Marble Hill's telephone trunk line is wired into the Bronx line, and it would have been too expensive for New York Telephone to rewire it.
In popular culture
Hip-hop group Theodore Unit (which includes Wu-Tang Clan member Ghostface Killah) released an album entitled 718, an homage to their home of Staten Island, which is contained within the 718 area code. Rapper/actor Mos Def refers to the 718 area code in his song "Sunshine", and in M.O.P.'s song "Ante Up", they mention "repping 1–718 dangerously".
The mixtape Return of the PLK contains the song titled "718 Nigga" by Rapper Lloyd Banks.
"718" was referred to in the "Salon of the Dead" episode of Gossip Girl as the "slums".
In Sex and the City, when Carrie returns from Mexico and her personal assistant Louise procures a new cell phone number, Louise begins to tell Carrie her new phone number, beginning with the 347 area code. Carrie interrupts insisting she's a "917 girl," to which Louise responds, "Now you're a 347 girl."
- Barbanel, Josh (February 16, 1984). "718 Area Code for Brooklyn, Queens and Staten Island Gains Approval". The New York Times. Retrieved 26 September 2017.
- "PSC APPROVES NEW AREA CODE FOR NYC OUTER BOROUGHS" (PDF). 3.dps.ny.gov. Retrieved 2016-05-19.
- "Additional Area Code Planned for New York City “929” Overlay Code Assigned to Outer Boroughs". Neustar. January 22, 2010.
- "Additional Area Code Planned for New York City". Prnewswire.com. January 22, 2010. Retrieved May 19, 2016.
- Newman, Andy. "Say Hello to 929". The New York Times. April 15, 2011.
- Bloom, Jennifer Kingson. "A Bit of Manhattan In the Bronx: A little-known enclave in a spot where the Bronx should be.". The New York Times. July 23, 1995.
- "What's in a Name: While Marble Hill's Origins Are Clear, Its Present Status is Up for Debate". New York 1 News. Retrieved 2015-06-18.
- "718 Lyrics - 2 Skinnee J's". Lyricsbox.com. Retrieved 2016-05-19.
- "Ludacris – Area Codes Lyrics | MetroLyrics". Metrolyrics.com. Retrieved 2015-07-17.
- "Alicia Keys fans: Right number, wrong person". USA Today. August 10, 2004.
- "Dear Diary". snopes.com. Retrieved 2016-05-15.
|New York area codes: 212/332/646, 315/680, 347/718/929, 516, 518/838, 585, 607, 631/934, 716, 845, 914, 917|
|North: 914, 845, 203/475|
|West: 212/646/917, 201/551, 908, 973/862||area code 347/718/917/929||East: 516, 631/934|
|South: 212/646/917, 732/848, Atlantic Ocean|
|New Jersey area codes: 201/551, 609, 732/848, 856, 862/973, 908|
|Connecticut area codes: 203/475, 860/959|