Area code 619
Area code 619 is a California telephone area code that was split from 714 on November 5, 1982. This area code currently covers the southern half of the city of San Diego and its eastern and southern suburbs. Area code 619 was the first new area code in California since 707 was added in 1959, the first to be added nationwide since area code 804 was split off from 703 in 1973, and the second area code added since 1966.
On March 23, 1997, areas around North San Diego County, desert areas and geographical areas in southeastern California split into 760. On June 12, 1999, the northern half of San Diego and the inner northern suburbs split into area code 858.
After the area code reached a projected exhaust date of 2019, the California Public Utilities Commission approved a boundary elimination overlay plan that will unify the boundaries of area codes 619 and 858, similar to the boundary elimination overlay of area codes 213 and 323 in Los Angeles county. This change will necessitate 10-digit dialing for customers in both area codes after June 2018.
List of places in the 619 area code
San Diego County
- Casa de Oro-Mount Helix
- Chula Vista
- El Cajon
- Granite Hills
- Harbison Canyon
- Imperial Beach
- La Mesa
- La Presa
- Lemon Grove
- Lincoln Acres
- Mount Laguna
- National City
- Ocean Beach
- Pine Valley
- Rancho San Diego
- San Diego (approximately the southern half of the city)
- San Ysidro
- Spring Valley
- Winter Gardens
In popular culture
- Professional wrestler and San Diego native Rey Mysterio named his finishing move "The 619" after the area code. A DVD featuring him is titled Rey Mysterio: 619.
- Football player Reggie Bush painted the number 619 into his eyeblack during games. He explained "When I do that, it's my way of keeping myself humble, of representing my hometown and letting them know I'm not going to forget where I came from."
- "CPUC PROVIDES FOR ADDITIONAL PHONE NUMBERS FOR 619 REGION." California Public Utilities Commission. May 1, 2017. Accessed July 31, 2017.
- "Rey Mysterio bio". World Wrestling Entertainment. Retrieved 16 September 2011.
- World Wrestling Entertainment (2003). Rey Mysterio: 619 (DVD). Enfield, Middlesex: Silver Vision.
- "It's Reggie, bar none". USA Today. 12 March 2005. Retrieved 16 September 2011.
|California area codes: 209, 213/323, 310/424, 408/669, 415/628, 442/760, 510, 530, 559, 562, 619, 626, 650, 657/714, 661, 707, 747/818, 805, 831, 858, 909, 916, 925, 949, 951|
|North: 442/760, (619/)858|
|West: Pacific Ocean, 808||area code 619 (standalone area to be eliminated in 2018)||East: 442/760|
|South: Country code +52 in Mexico|
|Hawaii area codes: 808|