Area codes 442 and 760
Error: No valid link was found at the end of line 7.
Area code 760 is a California telephone area code that was split from area code 619 on March 22, 1997. Area code 442 is an overlay of 760 that became effective on November 21, 2009. It encompasses much of the southeastern and southernmost portions of the state. The area includes Imperial, Inyo, and Mono counties, as well as portions of San Diego, Riverside, San Bernardino, Los Angeles and Kern counties.
Area code 760 was split from 619 in 1997, which in turn had been split from area code 714 in 1982. Within a decade from its creation, however, 760 was strained to the point that a new area code would be necessary to serve the area. The initial plan was a further area code split, with the San Diego and Imperial portions moving to a new 442 area code. However, after protests from local businesses, the California Public Utilities Commission decided that 442 would be added as an overlay to 760 instead, and since 2009 all users in the region have been required to include the area code even when dialing local calls.
Areas within this area code which had manual service in the past include:
- Death Valley Junction (Inyo County)
- Kelso (San Bernardino County)
- Stovepipe Wells, Death Valley (Inyo County)
Rate centers located in area code 760:
- Andrade, Bombay Beach, Brawley, Calexico, Calipatria, Desert Shores, El Centro, Heber, Holtville, Imperial, Mount Signal, Niland, Ocotillo, Ogilby, Palo Verde, Plaster City, Salton City, Salton Sea Beach, Seeley, Westmorland, Winterhaven
- Ballarat, Big Pine, Bishop, Cartago, Darwin, Death Valley Junction, Dixon Lane-Meadow Creek, Furnace Creek, Homewood Canyon-Valley Wells, Independence, Keeler, Laws, Lone Pine, Mesa, Olancha, Panamint Springs, Pearsonville, Round Valley, Shoshone, Tecopa, West Bishop, Wilkerson
- Bodfish, Boron, California City, Cantil, China Lake Acres, Inyokern, Johannesburg, Kernville, Lake Isabella, Mountain Mesa, Onyx, Randsburg, Ridgecrest, South Lake, Squirrel Mountain Valley, Weldon, Wofford Heights
- Big Pines, Jackson Lake
- Bermuda Dunes, Blythe, Cathedral City, Chiriaco Summit, Coachella, Desert Center, Desert Hot Springs, Eagle Mountain, East Blythe, Indian Wells, Indio, La Quinta, Lost Lake, Mecca, North Shore, Palm Desert, Palm Springs, Rancho Mirage, Ripley, River Bend Lodge, Sun City Palm Desert, Thermal, Thousand Palms, White Water
- Adelanto, Amboy, Angelus Oaks, Apple Valley, Bagdad, Baker, Barstow, Big River, Blue Jay, Bluewater, Cadiz, Calico, Chambless, Cima, Daggett, Devore (North San Bernardino), Earp, Essex, Fort Irwin, Goffs, Green Valley Lake, Halloran Springs, Helendale, Hesperia, Hinkley, Joshua Tree, Kelso, Landers, Lenwood, Lucerne Valley, Ludlow, Twentynine Palms Marine Base, Morongo Valley, Mountain View Acres, Nebo Center, Needles, Newberry Springs, Nipton, Oro Grande, Phelan, Pinon Hills, Pioneertown, Rice, Running Springs, Siberia, Sunfair Heights, Sunfair, Searles Valley, Trona, Twentynine Palms, Victorville, Vidal Junction, Vidal, Wrightwood, Yermo, Yucca Valley, Zzyzx
- Bonsall, Borrego Springs, Camp Pendleton North, Camp Pendleton South, Carlsbad, Encinitas, Escondido, Fallbrook, Hidden Meadows, Julian, Lake San Marcos, Oceanside, Ocotillo Wells, Pala, Rainbow, Ramona, San Marcos, Santa Ysabel, Valley Center, Vista
- Report on the 760 Area Code by the California Public Utilities Commission, Telecommunications Division (warning: this link leads to a large PDF file)
|California area codes: 209, 213, 310/424, 323, 408/669, 415/628, 442/760, 510, 530, 559, 562, 619, 626, 650, 657/714, 661, 707, 747/818, 805, 831, 858, 909, 916, 925, 949, 951|
|North: 530, 702, 775|
|West: 209, 559, 619, 626, 661, 808, 858, 909, 951, 949||area code 442/760||East: 928|
|South: 619, 858, Country code +52 in Mexico|
|Arizona area codes: 480, 520, 602, 623, 928|
|Nevada area codes: 702/725, 775|
|Hawaii area codes: 808|