Area code 814
Area code 814 is the U.S. telephone area code for the northwestern and central portions of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. Cities served by the area code include Altoona, Bradford, DuBois, Erie, Meadville, Oil City, Titusville, Johnstown, St. Marys, and Warren as well as the boroughs of State College, Brockway, Clearfield, Huntingdon, Mount Union, Bedford, Clarion, Punxsutawney, Tyrone, Ebensburg, Coudersport, and Brookville.
814 is one of the original area codes established in 1947, and is the largest in the state in terms of area. It is the only one of Pennsylvania's original four area codes that still has its original boundaries, and is and one of the few original area codes (not counting those covering an entire state) that have never been split or overlaid. With area code 717 having been overlaid with area code 223 in 2017, 814 is currently the only portion of Pennsylvania where seven-digit dialing is still possible. Despite the presence of Johnstown, Altoona, State College, and Erie, this region is largely rural.
In December 2009, because 814 was getting close to exhaustion, a geographic split was approved, with Erie and most of the northwestern portion slated to switch to the new area code 582. The proposed split—the first in the NANPA area to take place since 2007—would have taken place in early 2012.
Almost immediately after the public utilities commission decision, a grassroots movement began circulating an online petition to request the PA-PUC cancel the split, in favor of an overlay. The telecommunications industry also submitted petitions for an overturning of the split in favor of implementing 582 as an overlay.
As of February 27, 2012, the projected exhaust date for 814 was delayed to the second quarter of 2018.
On April 26, 2012 the PUC voted 5–0 to dismiss the plans to split 814 and revoke the implementation schedule. Current estimates suggest that 814 will be exhausted around 2021, by which point the split (or an overlay) of 814 may need to be revisited.
Counties that use this area code
Area code 814 serves parts of twenty-seven counties in Pennsylvania.
- Armstrong County (northeastern portion only)
- Bedford County
- Blair County
- Cambria County
- Cameron County
- Centre County (majority of area)
- Clarion County (all except portions of west)
- Clearfield County
- Clinton County (small portions)
- Crawford County (all except southwestern portion)
- Elk County
- Erie County
- Fayette County (a small portion may be assigned to 814, but most if not all uses 724)
- Forest County
- Fulton County (western portions)
- Huntingdon County (except Kishacoquillas Valley)
- Indiana County (northern and eastern portions only)
- Jefferson County
- McKean County
- Mercer County (extreme northeatsern portion)
- Mifflin County (extreme southwestern corner only)
- Potter County
- Somerset County
- Tioga County (western portions only)
- Venango County (all except southeastern corner)
- Warren County
- Westmoreland County (extreme northeastern corner only)
- "PUC - Press Releases". www.puc.state.pa.us. Archived from the original on 8 March 2012. Retrieved 5 May 2018.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2010-12-27. Retrieved 2010-12-22.
- "Article 404 - GoErie.com - Erie, PA". GoErie.com. Archived from the original on 11 March 2018. Retrieved 5 May 2018.
- "Archived copy" (PDF). Archived (PDF) from the original on 2013-05-10. Retrieved 2012-03-12.
- McKracken, Denise. "PUC Dismisses Petition for 814 Area Code Relief". Pennsylvania Public Utilities Commission. Retrieved 26 April 2012.
- "Archived copy" (PDF). Archived (PDF) from the original on 2011-07-16. Retrieved 2010-12-07.
- North American Numbering Plan Administration
- List of exchanges from AreaCodeDownload.com, 814 Area Code
- Area code to run out of numbers
- 814 area code map
- Save814 Public Advocates
|Pennsylvania area codes: 215/267/445, 223/717, 272/570, 412, 484/610, 724, 814, 878|
|North: 519/226/548, 585, 607, 716, Lake Erie|
|West: 412/878, 724/878, 440||area code 814||East: 570/272, 717/223|
|Maryland area codes: 240/301, 410/443/667|
|New Jersey area codes: 201/551, 609, 732/848, 856, 862/973, 908|
|Ohio area codes: 216, 220/740, 234/330, 380/614, 419/567, 440, 513, 937|
|Ontario area codes: 226/519/548, 249/705, 289/365/905, 343/613, 416/437/647, 807|