Area codes 754 and 954
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Area codes 754 and 954 are the area codes for Broward County, Florida, United States. Notable cities within 754 and 954 are Fort Lauderdale, Plantation, Hollywood, Sunrise, Pompano Beach, Coral Springs, Deerfield Beach, Davie, Weston, Dania Beach, and Pembroke Pines.
The main area code, 954, went into service on September 11, 1995. Prior to that date, Broward County had been part of area code 305 for 48 years; 305 had entered service in 1947 as one of the original area codes, but numerous splits over the years had made 305 more or less coextensive with the Miami-Fort Lauderdale area.
This split was intended as a long-term solution, but within five years 954 was already close to exhaustion due to South Florida's explosive growth and the proliferation of auxiliary devices (cell phones, pagers and fax machines). Additionally, all of South Florida from the Treasure Coast to the Florida Keys is a single LATA, meaning several numbers in 305 and West Palm Beach's 561 weren't available for use.
In November 2000, the Florida Public Service Commission approved the use of an overlay area code to service Broward County, after a telecommunications industry group sought alternatives to relieve the strain on the county. It was projected that 954 was to be exhausted by the third quarter of 2002. The North American Numbering Plan Administration (NANPA) announced on December 4, 2000 that area code 754 would overlay 954 in Broward County. The area code was activated on August 1, 2001 and began use on April 1, 2002. As the addition of 754 created an overlay, ten-digit dialing became mandatory in Broward. As exchanges with 954 become exhausted, new numbers for those exchanges use the 754 area code.
The School Board of Broward County took advantage of the new area code, changing its numbers to 754-321-xxxx, 754-322-xxxx, and 754-323-xxxx.
Upon activation, area code 954 had the distinction of being the only area code within Florida to encompass only one county.
- "Area Code Relief Planned for Southeast Florida". North American Numbering Plan Administration. 2000-12-04. Archived from the original on 7 January 2007. Retrieved 2007-01-08.
- North American Numbering Plan Administration (NANPA) (2001-08-04). "NPA 754 To Overlay NPA 954 (Southeast Florida)" (PDF). Retrieved 2007-01-08.
- Ostrow, Nicole (2002-03-26). "No Joke: 10-Digit Dialing at Hand". Sun-Sentinel. p. Local 1A. Retrieved 2007-01-08.
- NANPA Area Code Map of Florida
- List of exchanges from AreaCodeDownload.com, 754 Area Code
- List of exchanges from AreaCodeDownload.com, 954 Area Code
|Florida area codes: 239, 305, 321, 352, 386, 407, 561, 727, 754, 772, 786, 813, 850, 863, 904, 941, 954|
|West: 239, 863||area code 754/954||East: 242, Atlantic Ocean|
|Bahamas area codes: 242|