Area codes 305 and 786
Area code 305 is the area code for all of Miami, Florida, Miami-Dade County, and the part of Monroe County in the Florida Keys in the United States. The mainland portion of Monroe County is served by area code 239. The numbering plan area 305 was overlaid by area code 786 in 1998.
Area code 305 was one of the original area codes created in 1947, and originally covered the entire state of Florida. The western part of the peninsula from the Tampa Bay area south, which was served mostly by GTE (now part of Verizon), was separated into area code 813 in 1953. As a result of the increase in the state's population, North Florida from the Panhandle to Jacksonville was assigned area code 904 with a permissive dialing period beginning July 6, 1965, and a mandatory dialing period beginning January 1, 1966.
In 1988, the east coast of Florida from Palm Beach County north through Brevard County, as well as the Orlando metropolitan area was assigned area code 407. In 1995, Broward County was split from 305 and assigned area code 954. Although this was intended to be a long-term solution, within two years the reconfigured area code 305 was already close to exhaustion due to explosive growth in South Florida, as well as the increasing popularity of cell phones and pagers. Available numbers were limited by the fact that Monroe County was split between two area codes, as well as the fact that all of South Florida from the Treasure Coast to the Keys is a single LATA. To solve this problem, area code 786 was installed as an overlay in 1998. The overlay originally only covered Miami-Dade County; the Keys were added in 2008.
In popular culture
- American professional wrestler Montel Vontavious Porter uses a modified facebuster finishing move known as "The 305".
- Area 305 was a Fort Lauderdale restaurant in the 1970s where each table had an extension for other interested patrons to dial.
- Drake titled a song "305 to My City" on his 2013 album, Nothing Was the Same.
- Enrique Iglesias uses "@enrique305" as his account name on Twitter.
- A web-based magazine in Miami is called 305 Magazine.
- Kitchen 305 is a Sunny Isles Beach restaurant inside the Newport Beachside Resort (where MTV held its "Spring Break 2008" party).
- Miami rapper Pitbull refers to himself as "Mr. 305". His record label is called Mr. 305 Inc. He also frequently mentions the area code in his music.
- "QuESt" (rapper) mentions the area code 305 in the song titled "Hunger" off of his mixtape Searching Sylvan.
- In the 2016 movie Moonlight, the main character Chiron at age 25 is living in Atlanta, but he recalls his teenage nickname Black and his former home in Miami with his license plate, BLACK305, briefly glimpsed toward the end of the movie.
- "NANP Area Code History: 1998" Archived February 6, 2005, at the Wayback Machine. Retrieved December 27, 2007.
- "NANP Area Code History: 1948–1959" Archived February 6, 2005, at the Wayback Machine. Retrieved December 27, 2007.
- "NANP Area Code History: 1960–1969" Archived March 3, 2016, at the Wayback Machine. Retrieved December 27, 2007.
- "NANP Area Code History: 1980–1989" Archived March 3, 2016, at the Wayback Machine. Retrieved December 27, 2007.
- "Enrique Iglesias (@enrique305)". Twitter. Retrieved February 20, 2015.
- "305magazine.com". 305 Magazine. Retrieved July 19, 2017.
- Staff (undated) "Spring Break 2008" Archived September 22, 2013, at the Wayback Machine. MTV. Retrieved September 19, 2013.
- "Kitchen 305". Newport Beachside Hotel & Resort. Archived from the original on February 21, 2015. Retrieved February 20, 2015.
- NANPA area code map of Florida
- "History of Area Code Changes in Florida". Sprint. 1999.
- "Area Code 305". Area Code Download. Archived from the original on August 27, 2008.
List of exchanges
- "Area Code 786". Area Code Download. Archived from the original on June 8, 2007.
List of exchanges
|Florida area codes: 239, 305/786, 321, 352, 386, 407/689, 561, 727, 754/954, 772, 813, 850, 863, 904, 941|
|West: 239||area code 305/786||East: 242|
|South: +53 in Cuba|
|Bahamas area codes: 242|