Areias (Santo Tirso)
|Established||Civil parish: c. 1836|
|• Total||2.77 km2 (1.07 sq mi)|
|• Density||940/km2 (2,400/sq mi)|
|Time zone||WET/WEST (UTC+0/+1)|
Areias (Portuguese plural form of sand) is a former civil parish in the municipality of Santo Tirso, Portugal. In 2013, the parish merged into the new parish Areias, Sequeiró, Lama e Palmeira. Located 3 km (1.9 mi) from the urban centre of Santo Tirso, its population numbers approximately 2,599 inhabitants (2001 census), in an area of 2.77 square kilometres (1.07 sq mi); its density is 938/km2 (2,430/sq mi).
The iconic locality of Senhora da Torre, alongside the Ave, is the home to ancient ruins of castro from the Luso-Roman period of the region's history. It is also the location of a small chapel and lookout, the Miradouro da Senhora da Torre.
Until 1836 the parish was part of the municipality of Landim, until it was de-annexed and absorbed into Santo Tirso.
The parish is notable for a few national monuments, including:
- Nuno Álvares Institute (Portuguese: Hotel Termal das Caldas da Saúde/Instituto Nuno'Alvres/Instituto Nuno Álvares)
- Thermal heath spa (Portuguese: Termas das Caldas da Saúde)
- Diário da República. "Law nr. 11-A/2013, page 552 109" (pdf) (in Portuguese). Retrieved 30 July 2014.
- Câmara Municipal, ed. (2011), Areias (in Portuguese), Câmara Municipal de Sant Tirso, archived from the original on 11 September 2013, retrieved 26 October 2012
- Costa, Patrícia; Camara, Teresa (2004). SIPA (ed.). "Hotel Termal das Caldas da Saúde/Instituto Nuno'Alvres/Instituto Nuno Álvares (PT011314040041)" (in Portuguese). Lisbon, Portugal: SIPA – Sistema de Informação para o Património Arquitectónico. Archived from the original on 16 April 2013. Retrieved 25 October 2012.
- Filipe, Ana (2011). SIPA (ed.). "Termas das Caldas da Saúde (PT011314040042)" (in Portuguese). Lisbon, Portugal: SIPA – Sistema de Informação para o Património Arquitectónico. Archived from the original on 5 March 2016. Retrieved 25 October 2012.