Aremark within Østfold
|• Mayor (2011)||Geir Aarbu (SP)|
|• Total||319 km2 (123 sq mi)|
|• Land||282 km2 (109 sq mi)|
|Area rank||265 in Norway|
|• Rank||376 in Norway|
|• Density||5/km2 (10/sq mi)|
|• Change (10 years)||-1.3 %|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|ISO 3166 code||NO-0118|
|Official language form||Norsk|
The Norse form of the name was Aramǫrk. The first element is the genitive of the name of the lake Ari (now Aremarksjøen). (The name of the lake is probably derived from ari which means "eagle", thus "eagle lake".) The last element is mǫrk f 'woodland, borderland' (see March).
The coat-of-arms is from modern times. They were granted on 7 November 1986. The arms show two blue-colored elk on a silver background. The elk was chosen as a symbol because of the large forests and the many animals in the area.
Every two years in Aremark there is a relatively large festival: Elgfestivalen (elk festival). It is held in a festivity area at Kirkeng Camping. It has been arranged every two years since September 1998. The festival begins Friday afternoon and lasts until Sunday afternoon.
There are two chapels/churches in Aremark. Aremark church, which is located near Kirkeng(Church meadow), and Holmgil chapel in Bjørkebekk (Birch creek).
Aremark has been used in several movie titles and in television. The Norwegian movies "Folk flest bor i Kina" (Most people live in China) and "Celofan" are both filmed in the municipality. The reality show "Farmen" is filmed at Bøensæther husmannsplass close to Marker.
- "Navn på steder og personer: Innbyggjarnamn" (in Norwegian). Språkrådet. Retrieved 2015-12-01.
- Norske Kommunevåpen (1990). "Nye kommunevåbener i Norden". Retrieved 2008-12-13.
- "Immigrants and Norwegian-born to immigrant parents, by immigration category, country background and percentages of the population". ssb.no. Retrieved 29 June 2015.
- "Vennskapskommunen Dzerbene i Latvia" (in Norwegian). Aremark kommune. Archived from the original on 2 January 2009. Retrieved 2008-12-16.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Aremark.|
|Look up Aremark in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
- Municipal fact sheet from Statistics Norway
- Aremark travel guide from Wikivoyage
- Municipal website (Norwegian)