|Died||9 July 1980 (aged 82)|
|Alma mater||University of Amsterdam|
|Known for||Heyting algebra|
Contributions to intuitionism
|Institutions||University of Amsterdam|
|Doctoral advisor||L. E. J. Brouwer|
|Doctoral students||Anne Sjerp Troelstra|
Dirk van Dalen
Arend Heyting (Dutch: [ˈɦɛi̯tɪŋ]; 9 May 1898 – 9 July 1980) was a Dutch mathematician and logician.
Heyting was a student of Luitzen Egbertus Jan Brouwer at the University of Amsterdam, and did much to put intuitionistic logic on a footing where it could become part of mathematical logic. Heyting gave the first formal development of intuitionistic logic in order to codify Brouwer's way of doing mathematics. The inclusion of Brouwer's name in the Brouwer–Heyting–Kolmogorov interpretation is largely honorific, as Brouwer was opposed in principle to the formalisation of certain intuitionistic principles (and went as far as calling Heyting's work a "sterile exercise").
In 1942 he became a member of the Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences.
Heyting was born in Amsterdam, Netherlands, and died in Lugano, Switzerland.
- Heyting, A. (1930) Die formalen Regeln der intuitionistischen Logik. (German) 3 parts, In: Sitzungsberichte der preußischen Akademie der Wissenschaften. phys.-math. Klasse, 1930, 42–56, 57-71, 158-169.
- Heyting, A. (1934) Mathematische Grundlagenforschung. Intuitionismus. Beweistheorie. Springer, Berlin.
- Heyting, A. (1941) Untersuchungen der intuitionistische Algebra. (German) Verh. Nederl. Akad. Wetensch. Afd. Natuurk. Sect. 1. 18. no. 2, 36 pp.
- Heyting, A. (1956) Intuitionism. An introduction. North-Holland Publishing Co., Amsterdam.
- Heyting, A. (1959) Axioms for intuitionistic plane affine geometry. The axiomatic method. With special reference to geometry and physics. Proceedings of an International Symposium held at the Univ. of Calif., Berkeley, Dec. 26, 1957–Jan 4, 1958 (edited by L. Henkin, P. Suppes and A. Tarski) pp. 160–173 Studies in Logic and the Foundations of Mathematics North-Holland Publishing Co., Amsterdam.
- Heyting, A. (1962) After thirty years. 1962 Logic, Methodology and Philosophy of Science (Proc. 1960 Internat. Congr.) pp. 194–197 Stanford Univ. Press, Stanford, Calif.
- Heyting, A. (1963) Axiomatic projective geometry. Bibliotheca Mathematica, Vol. V. Interscience Publishers John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York; P. Noordhoff N.V., Groningen; North-Holland Publishing Co., Amsterdam.
- Heyting, A. (1966) Intuitionism: An introduction. Second revised edition North-Holland Publishing Co., Amsterdam.
- Heyting, A. (1973) Address to Professor A. Robinson. At the occasion of the Brouwer memorial lecture given by Prof. A.Robinson on the 26th April 1973. Nieuw Arch. Wisk. (3) 21, pp. 134–137.
- Heyting, A. (1974) Mathematische Grundlagenforschung, Intuitionismus, Beweistheorie. (German) Reprint. Springer-Verlag, Berlin–New York.
- Heyting, A. (1980) Axiomatic projective geometry. Second edition. Bibliotheca Mathematica [Mathematics Library], V. Wolters-Noordhoff Scientific Publications, Ltd., Groningen; North-Holland Publishing Co., Amsterdam–New York.
- ^ Walter P. van Stigt (1990). Brouwer's Intuitionism. Amsterdam: North Holland.
- ^ "Arend Heyting (1898 - 1980)". Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences. Retrieved 28 July 2015.
- ^ Church, Alonzo (1935). "Review: Mathematische Grundlagenforschung. Intuitionismus. Beweistheorie by A. Heyting". Bull. Amer. Math. Soc. 41: 476–477. doi:10.1090/S0002-9904-1935-06126-9.
- O'Connor, John J.; Robertson, Edmund F., "Arend Heyting", MacTutor History of Mathematics archive, University of St Andrews