The Lagoin river at the church
|Intercommunality||Gave et Coteaux|
|• Mayor (2008–2020)||Claude Ferrato|
|Area1||2.15 km2 (0.83 sq mi)|
|• Density||280/km2 (730/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|INSEE/Postal code||64041 /64320|
|Elevation||179–244 m (587–801 ft)
(avg. 241 m or 791 ft)
1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km² (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.2 Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.
The inhabitants of the commune are known as Arésyiens or Arésyiennes
The Idelis bus route P23 stops at Aressy Clinic at Pôle Bosquet. The commune is also served by Route 835 of the Interurban network of Pyrénées-Atlantiques (Transports 64) between Bénéjacq and Pau, and by Route 805 between Lourdes and Pau.
Much of the commune is residential with some farmland and a large lake in the south.
The Gave de Pau flows north-west through the western part of the commune and the Lagoin flows through the centre of the commune before joining the Gave de Pau just north-west of the commune.
Places and Hamlets
- Las Costes
- Le Saligat
Neighbouring communes and villages
Brigitte Jobbé-Duval indicates that the place name could come from the Basque, meaning "place where there are rocks" which would confirm the hypothesis by Michel Grosclaude of ar- ("stone or rock") with the Basque locative suffix -etz transformed into -esse.
The following table details the origins of the commune name and other names in the commune.
|Le Junca||Le Junca||1863||Raymond||
|Les Pelades||Les Pelades||1863||Raymond||
|Le Saliga||Le Saliga||1863||Raymond||
|Le Tuquet||Le Tuquet||1863||Raymond||
- Jobbé: Brigitte Jobbé-Duval, Dictionary of place names - Pyrénées-Atlantiques
- Raymond: Topographic Dictionary of the Department of Basses-Pyrenees, 1863, on the page numbers indicated in the table. (French)
- Grosclaude: Toponymic Dictionary of communes, Béarn, 2006 (French)
- Cassini: Cassini Map from 1750
- Ldh/EHESS/Cassini: Ldh/EHESS/Cassini database (French)
- Lescar: Cartulary of Lescar
- Military: Military Inspection of Béarn
- Census: Census of Béarn
- Reformation: Reformation of Béarn
List of Successive Mayors
(Not all data is known)
Aressy is part of nine inter-communal structures:
- the Public agency of local management;
- the Community of communes Gave et Coteaux;
- the AEP association for the Jurançon region;
- the defense against floods association for the Lagoin catchment area;
- the energy association of Pyrénées-Atlantiques;
- the inter-communal associatuion for the Narcastet leisure centre;
- the inter-communal association for defense against flooding of the Gave de Pau;
- the inter-communal association for the construction and operation of the CES of Bizanos;
- the Joint association for urban transport Pau - Porte des Pyrenees
In 2009 the commune had 609 inhabitants. The evolution of the number of inhabitants is known from the population censuses conducted in the commune since 1793. From the 21st century, a census of communes with fewer than 10,000 inhabitants is held every five years, unlike larger towns that have a sample survey every year.[Note 1]
Aressy is part of the urban area of Pau.
Culture and Heritage
The Parish Church of Saint Denys (1874) is registered as an historical monument.
- At the beginning of the 21st century, the methods of identification have been modified by Law No. 2002-276 of 27 February 2002, the so-called "law of local democracy" and in particular Title V "census operations" allows, after a transitional period running from 2004 to 2008, the annual publication of the legal population of the different French administrative districts. For communes with a population greater than 10,000 inhabitants, a sample survey is conducted annually, the entire territory of these communes is taken into account at the end of the period of five years. The first "legal population" after 1999 under this new law came into force on 1 January 2009 and was based on the census of 2006.
- Inhabitants of Pyrénées-Atlantiques (French)
- Google Maps
- Topographic Dictionary of the Department of Basses-Pyrenees, Paul Raymond, Imprimerie nationale, 1863, Digitised from Lyon Public Library 15 June 2011 (French)
- Brigitte Jobbé-Duval, Dictionary of place names - Pyrénées-Atlantiques, 2009, Archives and Culture, ISBN 978-2-35077-151-9 (French)
- Michel Grosclaude, Toponymic Dictionary of communes, Béarn, Edicions reclams & Édition Cairn - 2006, 416 pages, ISBN 2-35068-005-3 (French)
- Cassini Map 1750 – Aressy
- Cartulary of the Bishop of Lescar, published in the proofs of the History of Béarn by Pierre de Marca (French)
- Manuscript from 1376 in the Departmental Archives of Pyrénées-Atlantiques (French)
- Manuscript from the 14th century - Departmental Archives of Pyrénées-Atlantiques (French)
- Manuscript from the 16th to 18th centuries - Departmental Archives of Pyrénées-Atlantiques (French)
- List of Mayors of France
- Ministry of Culture, Mérimée IA64000643 Parish Church of Saint Denys (French)
- Aressy on Lion1906
- Areßy on the 1750 Cassini Map
- Aressy on the INSEE website (French)
- INSEE (French)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Aressy.|