|Coordinates: 43°2′10″N 2°30′16″W / 43.03611°N 2.50444°WCoordinates: 43°2′10″N 2°30′16″W / 43.03611°N 2.50444°W|
|Autonomous community||Basque Country|
|• Total||29.13 km2 (11.25 sq mi)|
|Elevation||260 m (850 ft)|
|• Density||240/km2 (620/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
|Dialing code||34 (Spain) + 943 (Gipuzkoa)|
Aretxabaleta is a town in the province of Gipuzkoa, in the Autonomous Community of Basque Country, northern Spain.
It is located on the Bergara road, almost adjacent to its larger northern neighbor, the city of Arrasate, and the smaller Eskoriatza to the south.
The place name
In the past, the Basque name "Aretxabaleta" was commonly used, both in Spanish and in English with the Spanish spelling, Arechavaleta. The local government (ayuntamiento) decided to officially change the spelling to the Basque "Aretxabaleta" on June 4, 1979. Their decision was authorized by Spanish central government on March 3, 1981.
- ^ Municipal Register of Spain 2018. National Statistics Institute.
- ^ See e.g. a number of Spain travel guides in English published in the 19th century. Some of them can be found on Google Books by entering the Spanish names of this town and its neighbor, Arechavaleta Mondragon, in the search box (thus avoiding the hits in non-geographic context)
- ^ Euskal Herriko / Boletin Oficial del Pais Vasco. May 11, 1981. Pp. 796-797.
- Official Website Information available in Spanish and Basque.
- ARETXABALETA in the Bernardo Estornés Lasa - Auñamendi Encyclopedia (Euskomedia Fundazioa) Information available in Spanish