Lock on the Canal du Midi
|Intercommunality||Région Lézignanaise, Corbières et Minervois|
|• Mayor (2008–2020)||René Lazes|
|Area1||4.59 km2 (1.77 sq mi)|
|• Density||82/km2 (210/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|INSEE/Postal code||11013 / 11200|
|Elevation||27–120 m (89–394 ft)
(avg. 39 m or 128 ft)
1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km² (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.2 Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.
The inhabitants of the commune are known as Argenais or Argenaises
Argens-Minervois is located some 20 km west by south-west of Capestang and 6 km north of Lézignan-Corbières. The northern border of the commune is also the border between Aude and Hérault. Access to the commune is by the D124 road from Roubia in the east which passes through the village and continues along the bank of the Canal du Midi to join the D11 north-east of the commune. The commune is forested in the north with a large reservoir in the centre feeding the Canal du-Midi. The rest of the commune is farmland.
The Aude river forms the whole southern and western border of the commune with the Canal du Midi parallel to it in the commune on the left bank in the commune. The large reservoir in the centre of the commune feeds the Canal through the Ruisseau de l'Étang on the eastern side and an unnamed stream on the western side. The Ruisseau du Four rises in the north-east of the commune and flows under the Canal to the Aude.
Vairy, in fesse fusilly, all in Argent and Azure.
List of Successive Mayors
(Not all data is known)
In 2009 the commune had 376 inhabitants. The evolution of the number of inhabitants is known from the population censuses conducted in the commune since 1793. From the 21st century, a census of communes with fewer than 10,000 inhabitants is held every five years, unlike larger towns that have a sample survey every year.[Note 1]
Viticulture: Minervois (AOC), Languedoc (AOC)
Sites and monuments
- Argens Locks
- A Château from the 14th century
- A Medieval Village
- The Church of Saint-Vincent contains two items that are registered as historical objects:
- Argens-Minervois on the National Geoographic Institute website (French)
- Argens-Minervois on Lion1906
- Argens-Minervois on Google Maps
- Argens-Minervois on Géoportail, National Geographic Institute (IGN) website (French)
- Argens on the 1750 Cassini Map
- Argens-Minervois on the INSEE website (French)
- INSEE (French)
Notes and references
- At the beginning of the 21st century, the methods of identification have been modified by Law No. 2002-276 of 27 February 2002, the so-called "law of local democracy" and in particular Title V "census operations" allows, after a transitional period running from 2004 to 2008, the annual publication of the legal population of the different French administrative districts. For communes with a population greater than 10,000 inhabitants, a sample survey is conducted annually, the entire territory of these communes is taken into account at the end of the period of five years. The first "legal population" after 1999 under this new law came into force on 1 January 2009 and was based on the census of 2006.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Argens-Minervois.|