Team Sunweb (men's team)
|Status||UCI Professional Continental (2005–2012)
UCI WorldTeam (2013–)
|Website||Team home page|
|General manager||Iwan Spekenbrink|
|Team name history|
Team Sunweb (UCI team code: SUN) is a professional German cycling team that participates in UCI World Tour events and, when selected, in UCI Continental Circuits races. The team is managed by Iwan Spekenbrink and uses Giant bicycles.
The team has existed since 2005 but Skil previously sponsored a French cycling team, Skil-Sem, from 1984 to 1985, with a similar jersey. Thanks to aggressive strategies during Paris–Nice in 2008 and 2009, the team was awarded a wildcard for the 2009 Tour de France, making it their first appearance in a Grand Tour.
After losing its sponsors at the end of 2011, the team adopted the name "Project 1T4i", standing for "team spirit, inspiration, integrity, improvement and innovation", until a new sponsor was secured. Ahead of the Tour of Flanders on 1 April 2012, the team became Argos-Shimano following the announcement of a three-year naming rights contract with the Argos North Sea Group, an independent oil company based in the Netherlands.
In December 2012 it was announced that the team would compete at the World Tour level for the 2013 season.
In September 2014 German shampoo manufacturer Alpecin announced that they would co-sponsor the team alongside Giant for the 2015 season. In December 2014 Sunweb (a Dutch owned international tour operator) was announced as a new major sponsor of the team, signing a 2-year deal. Sunweb also sponsor the cyclocross focussed UCI Continental team – Sunweb-Napoleon Games.
On 23 January 2016, six members of the team (John Degenkolb, Warren Barguil, Max Walscheid, Chad Haga, Fredrik Ludvigsson and Ramon Sinkeldam) while in training in Spain were hit by a car which drove into on-coming traffic. All riders were in stable condition. On the first rest day of the 2016 Tour de France, the team announced that Sunweb would become a named sponsor of the team for the 2017 season.
- ProCyclingStats. "Team Giant - Alpecin 2015". procyclingstats.com.
- Sam Dansie. "1T4I unveils young squad with big ambition". Cyclingnews.com.
- "1t4i-ploeg heet vanaf zondag Argos-Shimano" [1T4i-team is called Argos-Shimano from next Sunday on]. Sporza (in Dutch). Vlaamse Radio- en Televisieomroeporganisatie. 30 March 2012. Retrieved 30 March 2012.
- Benson, Daniel (30 March 2012). "Argos-Shimano cycling team presented in Rotterdam". Cycling News. Future Publishing Limited. Retrieved 30 March 2012.
- "Argos-Shimano receives Tour de France wildcard invitation". Cycling News. Future Publishing Limited. 6 April 2012. Retrieved 5 July 2012.
- "Argos-Shimano Team celebrates its new WorldTour license". CyclingNews. Future Publishing Limited. 10 December 2012. Retrieved 13 February 2013.
- "German shampoo maker Alpecin to sponsor Giant". VeloNews. 24 September 2014. Retrieved 24 September 2014.
- Cycling News. "Sunweb signs two-year deal with Giant-Alpecin". Cyclingnews.com.
- "John Degenkolb and Warren Barguil among six Giant-Alpecin cyclists hospitalised after being hit by a car". Irish Independent. 23 January 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Team Giant–Alpecin.|