|This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Administrative region||West Macedonia|
|• Municipal unit||206.4 km2 (79.7 sq mi)|
|• Municipal unit||8,903|
|• Municipal unit density||43/km2 (110/sq mi)|
|• Population||7,482 (2011)|
|Time zone||EET (UTC+2)|
|• Summer (DST)||EEST (UTC+3)|
Argos Orestiko (Greek: Άργος Ορεστικό, before 1926: Χρούπιστα - Chroupista) is a town and a former municipality in the Kastoria regional unit, Greece. Since the 2011 local government reform it is part of the municipality Orestida, of which it is the seat and a municipal unit. The municipal unit has an area of 206.396 km2.
In antiquity, Argos Orestikon was the main town of the Orestae. It was said to have been founded by Orestes, the son of Agamemnon, who fled from Argos in the Peloponnese after the murder of his mother.
The exact location of classical Argos Orestikon has not been found. Based on epigraphic evidence, the administrative centre of the Orestae lay near the centre of the present town Argos Orestiko, at a site named "Armenochori". During the campaign of Alexander the Great to the East, settlers from the town founded another Argos Orestikon to distant Scythian steppes during the 4th century BCE.
In Argos Orestiko is located the national airport of Kastoria 'Aristotelis'
- Archaeological Museum of Argos Orestiko
- Fossil Exhibition (Nostimo), a village 14 km away from Argos Orestiko
- "Απογραφή Πληθυσμού - Κατοικιών 2011. ΜΟΝΙΜΟΣ Πληθυσμός" (in Greek). Hellenic Statistical Authority.
- Name changes of settlements in Greece
- Kallikratis law Greece Ministry of Interior (in Greek)
- "Population & housing census 2001 (incl. area and average elevation)" (PDF) (in Greek). National Statistical Service of Greece. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2015-09-21.
- Smith, William, ed. (1854). "Argos Oresticum". Dictionary of Greek and Roman Geography. 1. London: John Murray.
- Strabo, Geographica 7.7.8
- Argos Orestikon Project
|This Western Macedonia location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|