Ari Folman at 43rd Karlovy Vary International Film Festival (KVIFF), Czech Republic in 12 July 2008
|Other names||Ari Fulman|
|Occupation||Film director, screenwriter, animator, film score composer|
|Home town||Tel Aviv, Israel|
Ari Folman (Hebrew: ארי פולמן) (born December 17, 1962) is an Israeli film director, screenwriter, animator and film score composer. He directed the Oscar-nominated animated documentary film Waltz with Bashir (2008) and the live-action/animated film The Congress.
Folman's latest project is an animated drama film based on the life of Anne Frank during the Holocaust, named Where Is Anne Frank? In March of 2019, Folman stated that the animation had been completed and the voices were recorded in English, although no release date had been set yet.
Waltz with Bashir
Ari Folman's memories of the aftermath of the 1982 Sabra and Shatila massacre, which took place when he was a 19-year-old soldier, served as the basis for his movie Waltz with Bashir. The film follows his attempt to regain his memories of the war through therapy as well as conversations with old friends and other Israelis that were present in Beirut around the time of the massacre.
- Sha'anan Si (1991, short documentary, with Ori Sivan)
- Saint Clara (1996, with Ori Sivan)
- Made in Israel (2001)
- Waltz with Bashir (2008)
- The Congress (2013)
- Where Is Anne Frank? (TBA)
- Ophir Award - Best Director - Saint Clara (1996)
- Karlovy Vary International Film Festival - Special Prize of the Jury - Saint Clara (1996)
- Award of the Israeli Television Academy - Best Script for a Drama Series (along with 5 other writers) - Betipul (2006)
- Recipient of the Lynn and Jules Kroll Fund for Jewish Documentary Film - Waltz with Bashir (2007)
- Ophir Award - Best Director - Waltz with Bashir (2008)
- Ophir Award - Best Screenplay - Waltz with Bashir (2008)
- Golden Globe Award for Best Foreign Language Film - Waltz with Bashir (2008)
- Directors Guild of America Awards - Outstanding Directorial Achievement in Documentary - Waltz with Bashir (2008)
- Writers Guild of America Awards - Best Documentary Screenplay - Waltz with Bashir (2008)
- Animafest Zagreb - Grand Prix for feature film - Waltz with Bashir (2009)
- Tokyo Anime Award Festival - Animation of the Year Featured Film Category - The Congress (2014)
- "Departures" Wins Foreign Language Film: 2009 Oscars
- Hartl, John. "'The Congress': gripping live action, unfocused animation". Seattle Times. Seattle Times. Retrieved 29 March 2015.
- Keeley, Johnathan. "Ari Folman's 'The Congress' Gets A Trailer". The Hollywood News. The Hollywood News. Retrieved 29 March 2015.
- Dupont, Joan (19 May 2008). "Ari Folman's journey into a heart of darkness". The New York Times. Retrieved 2010-05-06.
- Roxborough, Scott. "Ari Folman to Write, Direct Animated 'Anne Frank' Film". Hollywood Reporter. Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 29 March 2015.
- Tartaglione, Nancy. "Ari Folman To Helm Animated Film Based On Life & Diary Of Anne Frank". Deadline. Deadline. Retrieved 29 March 2015.
- Zahed, Ramin. "Production Begins on Ari Folman's Anne Frank Movie". Animation Magazine. Animation Magazine. Retrieved 13 June 2018.
- Brown, Hannah (26 August 2019). "Anne Frank to inspire musical and an animated film". Jerusalem Post. Retrieved 20 June 2020.
- Bloom, Nate (January 9, 2009). "Jewish Stars". Cleveland Jewish News.
- "'Waltz with Bashir' Makes Golden Globe History". documentary.org. Retrieved 10 February 2009.
- Best Motion Picture - Foreign Language|Page 3|Golden Globes