|Born||January 25, 1991|
|Education||Western Carolina University|
Ariana DeBose (born January 25, 1991) is an American actress, singer, and dancer, known for her work in musical theatre and on So You Think You Can Dance.
She made her breakthrough in 2009, when she competed on the TV series So You Think You Can Dance, making it into the Top 20. She later appeared on the soap opera One Life to Live and played Inez in the North Carolina Theatre's production of Hairspray before booking the role of Nautica in the 2011 Alliance Theatre production of Bring It On. She also appeared in the ensemble of the New York Philharmonic production of Company, which was filmed for television. At the end of 2011, Bring It On embarked on a national tour across the United States. DeBose continued her role into the 2012 Broadway production, and understudied the character Danielle.
Her career launched, DeBose played Mary Wilson in Motown on Broadway in 2013, understudying the role of Diana Ross. DeBose left the show soon later to play Eponine in a regional production of Les Misérables before returning to Broadway as a noble and a player in the musical Pippin, understudying the role of the Leading Player, which she ended up taking over for a short period in 2014.
DeBose left Pippin to appear as the Bullet in the ensemble of the off-Broadway show Hamilton in early 2015. The show moved to Broadway later that year, and became an overnight sensation. She was nominated for an Astaire Award for her dancing in the show.
A Bronx Tale and Summer: The Donna Summer Musical
DeBose left Hamilton in July 2016, and made a guest appearance on the TV series, Blue Bloods as Sophia Ortiz, and starred as Daphne in the thriller film, Seaside.
DeBose went on to play the role of Disco Donna in Summer: The Donna Summer Musical in San Diego at La Jolla Playhouse in late 2017. She reprised this role on Broadway, which opened April 2018. She received a 2018 Tony Award nomination for Best Performance by a Featured Actress in a Musical.
She also frequently performs at 54 Below.
|2011||Bring It On||Nautica, u/s Danielle||Alliance Theatre|
|2012||St. James Theatre|
|2013||Motown: The Musical||Ensemble, Mary Wilson, u/s Diana Ross||Lunt-Fontanne Theatre|
|2014||Pippin||Leading Player (u/s, then replacement)||Music Box Theatre|
|2015||Hamilton: An American Musical||Ensemble||The Public Theater|
|Richard Rodgers Theatre|
|2016||A Bronx Tale||Jane||Longacre Theatre|
|2017||Summer: The Donna Summer Musical||Disco Donna||La Jolla Playhouse|
|2016||Blue Bloods||Sophia Ortiz||Episode: "The Road to Hell"|
|Hamilton's America||Herself||TV Documentary|
Awards & nominations
|2018||Drama League Awards||Distinguished Performance||Summer: The Donna Summer Musical||Nominated|
|Tony Awards||Best Performance by a Featured Actress in a Musical||Nominated|
- "Bio". Retrieved 2016-10-06.
- "Ariana DeBose". IMDb. Retrieved 2016-10-06.
- "Ariana DeBose | Playbill". Playbill. Retrieved 2016-10-06.
- League, The Broadway. "Ariana DeBose – Broadway Cast & Staff | IBDB". www.ibdb.com. Retrieved 2018-02-04.
- "Bronx Bullet: Backstage at A Bronx Tale with Ariana DeBose, Episode 1: Meet the Family!". Retrieved 2016-10-06.
- "LaChanze, Ariana DeBose & Storm Lever Will Lead Summer: The Donna Summer Musical to Broadway". Broadway.com. Retrieved 2018-02-04.
- "Tony Nominations 2018: 'Mean Girls,' 'SpongeBob' Score Big (Complete List)". Variety.com. Retrieved 2018-05-01.
- "Breaking: THE BAND'S VISIT, ANGELS IN AMERICA, MEAN GIRLS, FROZEN, And More Earn Drama League Nominations; See The Full List!". BroadwayWorld.com. 2018-04-18. Retrieved 2018-04-19.
- "2018 Tony Award Nominations: SpongeBob SquarePants and Mean Girls Lead the Pack". Playbill. 2018-05-01.