Ariana Fajardo Orshan
Ariana Fajardo Orshan
|United States Attorney for the Southern District of Florida|
|Assumed office |
September 18, 2018
|Preceded by||Wifredo A. Ferrer|
|Judge of the Eleventh Judicial Circuit Court of Florida|
April 25, 2012 – September 17, 2018
|Appointed by||Rick Scott|
|Preceded by||Julio Jimenez|
|Succeeded by||Scott Bernstein|
|Education||Florida International University, (B.S.)|
Shepard Broad Law Center, (J.D.)
Ariana Fajardo Orshan is an American lawyer who currently serves as the United States Attorney for the Southern District of Florida. She was previously a Judge of the Eleventh Judicial Circuit Court of Florida.
Fajardo Orshan began her legal career as an Assistant State Attorney in Miami-Dade County, where she prosecuted a wide variety of crimes specializing in narcotics and organized crime. She then was a partner in a boutique law firm where she specialized in litigation.
State judicial career
Prior to becoming a U.S. Attorney, Fajardo Orshan was a Circuit Court Judge of the Eleventh Judicial Circuit of Florida and an adjunct professor at Florida International University College of Law. She was appointed to the bench in 2012 by Governor Rick Scott.
On June 7, 2018, President Trump announced his intent to nominate Fajardo Orshan to serve as a United States Attorney for the Southern District of Florida. On June 11, 2018, her nomination was sent to the Senate. On August 23, 2018, her nomination was reported out of committee by a voice vote. On August 28, 2018, her nomination was confirmed in the United States Senate by voice vote. Upon confirmation she became the first woman to ever be the United States Attorney in Southern Florida. Fajardo Orshan was sworn into office on September 18, 2018.
Fajardo Orshan is married to Robert D. Orshan and has one son.
- "President Donald J. Trump Announces Fifteenth Wave of Judicial Nominees, Fourteenth Wave of United States Attorney Nominees, and Ninth Wave of United States Marshal Nominees" White House, June 7, 2018 This article incorporates text from this source, which is in the public domain.
- "Governor Scott Appoints Ariana Fajardo to the Eleventh Judicial Circuit Court" (Press release). Press Office. April 25, 2012. Retrieved June 8, 2018.
- "Seventeen Nominations Sent to the Senate Today", White House, June 11, 2018
- Results of Executive Business Meeting – August 23, 2018, Senate Judiciary Committee
- "PN2118 - Nomination of Ariana Fajardo Orshan for Department of Justice, 115th Congress (2017-2018)". www.congress.gov. 2018-08-28. Retrieved 2018-08-30.
- Weaver, Jay (June 7, 2018). "Trump nominates first woman ever to be U.S. attorney in South Florida". Miami Herald. Retrieved June 8, 2018.
- Scicchitano, Paul (September 18, 2018). "Miami Family Court Judge Sworn In As US Attorney". Patch. Retrieved 19 September 2018.
| Judge of the Eleventh Judicial Circuit Court of Florida